The Mysteries

"How are you feeling?" the nurse asked as I came in for my two-week check-up.

Since we got the vaccine, I haven't felt anything new in my body. Everyone seemed to be doing fine as well. We were all still being monitored to actually know if the vaccine helps combat the toxins. Since they turned into long-term effects, it was hard to tell how one's body was harmed from them. They say the vaccine might take months before we could see any results.

"If a person stays out long in the forest, when does their body begin to get affected?" I asked the nurse as she did an eye exam.

"Everybody reacts differently, but after one month, we tend to see cold-like symptoms. That then turn aggressive. But with the vaccine, we're hoping it combats that and helps our cells fight back," she explained as I nodded my head.

She pulled out her pad, checking all my boxes. "You're due for a shot today," she said, pulling out a thicker needle.

"For what?" I asked as I didn't recall needing anything else.

"Just another booster we use with new vaccines to make sure the body doesn't react negatively," she smiled before stabbing me with it.

This one hurt a lot more as the needle was extremely thicker than the first. Once we were finished, I waved goodbye as I walked out of the clinic.

My eyes found the lab again as military men stood outside the doors. Walking back to the dorms, my arm ached from that shot.

I saw Michelle, Halle, Christopher, and Jake walking together. They noticed me and came over in glee.

"Hey, guys," I smiled as the four smiled back.

They were all coming from the corporal's office. I remembered seeing Halle and Jake there often, but Michelle and Chris being visitors was odd.

"Are you heading back to the dorm?" Michelle asked in a chipper tone.

I nodded as she took that as an action to lock our arms and pulled me into their group. "I can't wait to finally enter the forest. I've been so scared of getting sick," Chris spoke.

It never hit my mind that me being in the forest could be dangerous. I had been inside multiple times, wondering if Vorian would be out there. He never was, but regardless, it didn't stop me from venturing out.

I hadn't felt any negative symptoms even before the vaccine. Maybe, like the nurse said, everybody reacts differently.

"Thalia, didn't you used to love playing outside?" Halle asked, staring at me as we walked throughout the base.

"Yeah," I laughed, playing off the fact that I've been out in the woods many times now.

"After that attack, the clinic should have kept you longer. What if you got sick?" Michelle asked, fear rising in her voice.

"I haven't felt anything," I replied, earning nods from the crew.

We made it to the dorms and departed from the men as the girls and I walked to our end of the hall. "We should watch a movie tonight... maybe play some drinking games," Michelle offered as she tapped her room key.

I laughed at the idea as it sounded childish. "We don't have any drinks," I said, but Michelle quickly pulled out two bottles of tequila, shocking me.

"Who says?" she smirked.

My mouth was wide open as I had no idea how she would even get these. All the liquor was locked in a cellar for only the men to drink; they would have late-night parties inside the common room. We were still underage and not allowed inside and placed on a curfew.

"Did you get these from that guy?" Halle asked Michelle in a judgmental way.

Michelle rolled her eyes. "We're not just... you know... he loves me," she whispered.

Halle let out a comical laugh as she heard those words. Grabbing a cup, she opened the bottle and poured herself a drink.

"And if your father finds out? He'll be... you know... the man is like 5 years older than you," she mocked.

Her words were pretty harsh, and I could tell Michelle took them personally. Halle didn't have to say such rude things to her. If they were in love, who is she to say they aren't?

"Ava is on her way," was all Michelle said, walking inside her bathroom.

Halle rolled her eyes, drinking the liquor straight. "I swear she's such a crybaby."

"You were rude, Halle," I spoke, causing the girl to glare at me.

"I'm looking out for her," she whispered before a knock at the door interrupted us.

It opened, and Ava was behind, with Jake, Chris, and Jax following. The guys brought a bunch of snacks as Michelle left the bathroom, putting a fake smile on her face.

"The party has begun," Chris shouted as he turned up his speaker and pulled out the drinking cards.

As music played, we all took shots equally and began playing the game. Ava was the first to pick up a card as she began to read.

"Take a shot if you've ever snuck out of your parents' house?" She giggled, her face cherry red.

We all took a shot as memories of freshman year flooded. There was this huge party in town, and our parents wouldn't let us go due to how bad it was outside, but we went anyway.

Needless to say, we all got in trouble. "Okay, my turn," Chris shouted, picking a card.

"Take a shot if you've messed with anyone in the room," he smirked.

We all looked around, waiting to see. Chris and Halle were the only two who drank, earning gasps from everybody in the room.

Halle smirked as she gloated from the sudden news they spilled. "It was one time, and we were drunk," she laughed.

"How did I not know this?" Michelle laughed, hitting her cousin.

Chris shrugged as it was now my turn to pick a card. Grabbing mine, I read it in my head first. "Drink if your parents are still alive," I said as the room went quiet, placing the card down.

Everyone stared at me sentimentally. It reminded me of the day of my mother's funeral, the pity in everyone's eyes.

"You all can drink," I laughed, as they quickly took their shots, and Jake picked up the next card.

"Drink if you've had sex?" He nervously said.

Everyone again began to drink except me. Halle's eyes looked as if they almost jumped out of her eyes. "Never, Thalia?" She asked.

"Nope," I said nervously.

"You poor thing," Michelle's drunk self said as she stared at me.

"You need to get laid, babes," she added, taking the bottle and drowning it. Chris snatched it from her as she was completely out of it.

"How about we call it a night?" Jax suggested, as he was also barely staying awake. His eyes were dropping from the amount of shots they made him take.

Chris shook her head as he helped him stay away. "I agree," Halle said, grabbing the tequila bottle and walking to the door.

Chris and Jax followed as the two left with Halle back to their rooms. Michelle was knocked out in her bed now, and I laughed, seeing how peaceful she was.

Ava enveloped Jake in a hug, her arms refusing to release him. I smiled, envisioning them as a cute couple... if only he could see it.

"Are you good getting back?" Jake asked, noticing Ava's struggle to stand due to her intoxication.

"Take care of her," I said, offering a nod of assurance before walking away.