Death

The aircraft opened, and the corporal and my father walked out with 100 of their men. I sighed, looking at the scene as we all stood on separate sides.

Ava and Jake held their guns out as I defensively stood in front, protecting them from any harm.

"Should have made sure to kill you all weeks ago," the corporal laughed, loading his huge rifle.

Yokul wore a nasty expression as he aimed his arrow at the corporal. Vorian looked at me, confusion in his eyes, wondering why I stood with the enemy. He had lied to me. He promised no one would be harmed like this... that my friends would be safe.

More of their warriors arrived, including Eldrith, as they entered the airplane runway. Yokul raised his hand, glaring at the corporal with intense hatred.

My body began to tense as I knew that signal. "On my count, run to the ship," I whispered low enough for only Ava and Jake's ears.

"What?" Ava whispered back, but once Yokul set his hand down, I pushed them.

"Run!" I shouted as their animals blasted their hot fire and the corporal's men began to shoot. It all felt surreal as the two sides came charging at each other... it was something you would only see in movies.

Ava and Jake took my instructions and sprinted to the plane to take cover. I saw my father running towards me as I pulled out my arrow.

A Kraten came at him, and I shot them in the foot just to cause pain. I ran past, seeing Vorian. He seemed pissed as he stabbed one of the men and caught my eyes.

My father was running towards him, and I groaned, knowing my father would kill him. Picking up my pace, I ran quickly before either could attack.

My father pulled out his gun, pulling the trigger as I tackled Vorian to the ground, missing the bullet. My father shot another Kraten, and I was relieved.

"What are you doing, Thalia?" Vorian shouted as we stood up.

He held his weapon out at me, and my heart ached as he assumed I was working for the other side.

"I couldn't let my friends die," I shouted as he charged at me with his spear.

I dodged, angry he even tried that. "They are the enemy," he growled as he tried to attack again.

This time, I grabbed his arm and pushed his knife down. "Vorian, this wasn't part of the plan," I begged as he breathed hard, glaring at me. He said we would only take out the corporal not destroy the entire base and humans. 

"They killed my people and family! This is only a small pay back" he shouted back.

"Those are my friends! My father!" I shouted as we stared at each other.

I was furious he even planned this—this genocide.

Yokul shouted another signal as he went for the corporal. We paused, looking at the chaos around us. Dead bodies lay as fire grew.

Another signal went off, and Vorian grabbed his weapon, leaving me alone. "Just pick a side, Thalia," he growled.

I watched as he ran with the rest, going for the corporal.

Looking around, everything was burning... I had no idea this was their plan. To destroy the entire base—

The ground began to rumble, and I looked around in confusion. Suddenly, a soldier came hurtling down from the sky, clutching a green patch over the aircraft.

My eyes tracked the patch as it descended, and then a massive explosion erupted, propelling me backward. All I could think about was Ava as the aircraft was engulfed in flames.

"Ava!" I shouted, but my ears were ringing from the blast.

Another scream pierced the air, and I turned to see Eldrith on the ground. Looking back at the burning aircraft I wiped my tears and ran to save Eldrith. My heart sank as I saw Halle beside her, a sharp spear embedded in her leg.

I shouted in agony, throwing my knife in that direction, stabbing Halle in the arm as she screamed. I kneeled to Eldrith's aid as I looked at the wound.

Halle cut her good... I didn't know what to do. I shouted for help to get her out of here.

"So, Christopher didn't kill you," Halle groaned, pulling out the knife. "Giving him rabies was a waste," she laughed, catching my attention as I turned to look at her.

Blood was boiling inside as I heard her words. Without thinking, I leaped up and threw her to the ground, punching her face.

"What did you do to him?" I shouted, tears in my eyes.

"Get off of me!" Halle screamed, pushing me off as I hit the ground.

I stood back up, breathing hard as she held her bleeding arm. "You're evil," I cried.

How could she do such a thing to our friend? Somebody she grew up around? It didn't make sense and made me sick to my stomach, thinking that somebody could inflict so much pain on another.

"I've heard," she yawned.

I was so—so angry I couldn't even contain it. She held no remorse... no guilt. Gripping my knife, I began to hyperventilate as my chest tightened.

It felt like I couldn't breathe, and I felt a sharp pain in my chest. Falling to the ground, it felt like time stopped... I heard screams from Eldrith.

A bunch of Kratens came, chaining Halle up as she screamed with tears in her eyes. My vision was going blurry, but I swear I saw Dr. Evans' face.

"Thalia," she yelled. "Come on, stay with me," she shouted, opening my eyelids, but I couldn't anymore.