Kratens

The next day, the Kratens didn't show up to class. Dr. Evans explained they only attended twice a week, and shifted our focus to learning Infani. We had briefly studied it on Earth, but she emphasized its importance in communicating with the natives.

I couldn't stop thinking about yesterday. The way he wrapped my arm was tender, yet his words were harsh, giving me mixed signals. I wanted to know my savior's name. We spent an hour working on our Infani.

Jax and Ava excelled, while others struggled or refused to learn. Dr. Evans, an incredible teacher, seemed to know everything about the Kratens, almost as if she were one herself.

"Doctor, can we please take a break?" Halle whined.

"Okay, everyone take an hour for lunch, and we'll resume later," Dr. Evans said, leaving the room.

"Thank god! I hate this stupid language," Michelle said, pulling out her lunch box.

"It's not stupid, Michelle. Infani holds great importance to the Kratens, and its history is fascinating. What Dr. Evans is doing here is groundbreaking," Jax commented, reading Dr. Evans' notes.

"Jax, if you want to be a tree lover, go ahead and cross that border," Asher said dryly.

Halle and Michelle laughed at his words, and I was getting tired of them. Eating with them was becoming annoying, and I wanted to be alone.

"I'm going to get some air," I said, standing up and heading to the back door.

Walking through the field, I wandered by the border lines, curious about what would happen if anyone crossed. Would the Kratens wage war immediately? I stood near a marked tree, staring into the deep woods.

My stomach growled, so I moved away from the bushes to the opposite side of the borders. We were still in the forest, so I climbed a tree close to the school. It had been a long time since I climbed a tree, as those on Earth were almost nonexistent.

Reaching a comfortable spot midway up, I watched the sky. It was a mix of blue and pink, with the three suns shining bright. I opened my sandwich, enjoying the wind on my face.

Tumia was a beautiful planet, rich and alive, unlike Earth, which had lost its vibrancy due to mankind's selfishness. Suddenly, I heard branches shake and froze. Someone else was here.

Putting my food down, I stood up slowly and peeked through the leaves. No one was there, but the branches continued to move. Closing my eyes, I relied on the skills my father taught me. Hearing a footstep on another branch, I leapt out and pushed the figure against the tree, knife at its throat.

"Who are—ahhh!" I lost my footing and nearly slipped, but the figure held my waist, pressing me into its chest. I felt its heart beat and looked up, shocked to see the Kraten from yesterday.

"You're quick for a human," he spoke, letting me go.

Regaining my balance, I moved away. "What are you doing up here?"

"I could ask you the same. I've never seen a human climb this high."

He had no shirt and carried a bow, looking like he was hunting. But why was he on our side of the border?

"I like to climb. You're lucky I didn't slit your throat," I said, putting my knife back in my knee pocket.

The Kraten followed me, moving quietly through the tree and taking a seat. Yesterday he acted as if I were a germ, and now he sat with me peacefully.

"You are different," he said, eyeing my hair and face.

I started to grow shy under his gaze. He reached to touch my hair, but I grabbed his hand. "One, it's rude to touch a black woman's hair, and two, I still don't know your name."

He put his hand down and smirked. "Vorian," he said, looking ahead.

Vorian. It was more beautiful than I imagined. My body warmed at finally knowing his name, and I scooted closer to him.

"That's a nice name. You were pretty rude yesterday," I said, taking a small bite of my sandwich.

Vorian looked at me, opening his mouth as if to speak, but then he looked down. This man was hard to read; just when you thought you were getting to know him, he changed.

We sat in silence as I ate, and it grew awkward.

"Are you hunting?" I asked, seizing the chance to ask more questions.

"No."

"Then... what are you doing?"

"Scouting." His one-word answers made me uneasy. I wished he'd say more.

"Do you attend Dr. Evans' school?" I continued, moving closer.

"No."

"Why not?" He still didn't answer, but I wasn't giving up.

Vorian had deep grey eyes and was taller than most. His markings were beautiful, extending from his face down to his chest. I also noticed a few scars. Was he a warrior?

"How old are you?" I asked another question.

"You talk a lot," he finally said, turning to face me. Our faces were just a few centimeters apart.

"And you're rude," I whispered.

His expression twisted, and I couldn't hold back my laugh. His facial expressions were cute, and I admired everything about him in that moment.

"How come you don't attend the school?"

"I have responsibilities, and playing with humans all day isn't one of them."

I nodded, accepting his answer. Giving him space, I sat back down.

"Why are you up here, away from your clan?" he asked, barely looking at me as he continued to scout the woods.

"Needed a break, and my clan is pretty annoying," I said, excited he was talking to me. I thought I'd have to ask a million questions before he answered.

Thinking about my friends, it had been over five years since we last spoke or hung out together. After my mother died, I lost myself, and things just weren't the same. The bond we had was gone, but they acted like nothing had happened.

"What about you? You are far from your borders," I asked.

"I come to scout," he said lowly.

I already knew he was scouting, but I wanted more details.

"You didn't answ—" he placed his hand over my mouth and got into a squat.

Halle and Jake were walking near us under the tree. Vorian watched closely as Michelle ran up to them, and the trio walked back to the building.

Pushing his hand away, I noted his fingers smelled like dirt and flowers—an odd mixture, but I kind of liked it.

"Those are my friends. We all attend the school," I said, touching his shoulder as he tensed.

Vorian stood up, packing his bow and arrow. "You shouldn't climb these trees anymore, Thalia," he said before jumping down.

I stood up, scared he had fallen, but when I looked down, he was nowhere to be found. It was like he disappeared right in front of me.