Awake

A loud scream jolted me awake. Thalia was drenched in sweat, repeatedly crying out, "No, no, no."

I looked at her and grasped her wrist. "Thalia, breathe," I urged as she sat up in bed, eyes wide open.

Since regaining consciousness, she'd been having these night terrors. Dr. Evans thought it was a trauma response from the war, but it was unlike anything she assumed. Our soldiers usually recovered quickly, but for Thalia, it was a recurring nightmare.

"I killed him," she whispered, and I nodded, knowing she meant her comrade. "They're all dead," she added as I stood up, removing the needles from her arm.

I lifted her small frame and sat down in the chair. She curled into me, shaking and closing her eyes in fear.

"Shhhh," I whispered, rubbing her back and humming a lullaby I'd heard every night when Eldrith was young.

Thalia began to calm down, gripping my chest, her head nestled in my neck as I continued the tune.

"I just want it to stop," she whispered, breaking my heart. She had witnessed so much death that her body couldn't take any more.

I should have left her at the camp, but even if I had, she would have refused and ended up on the battlefield.Maybe if I fought harder against the council her friends wouldn't be dead. Morning came quickly, and I rested Thalia back in her bed. Dr. Evans arrived with her team, bringing breakfast and conducting check-ins.

"How'd she sleep?" she asked with a smile.

Nobody knew about Thalia's nightmares but me; she'd begged me not to tell the doctor because she wanted to leave the hospital soon.

"Perfect," I lied.

Dr. Evans smiled, checked Thalia's forehead, and turned to me with a clipboard. "She seems good to go home," she began.

"But keep an eye on her. Avoid stress; her lungs are still healing," she added, and I nodded.

"My mother said she'll be alright. The medicine she used should have cured that," I replied defensively, feeling like the doctor was insinuating Thalia was still sick.

"Yes, but we don't know how her body will react," she stressed, and I nodded, seeing her point.

"I'll let you know," I said, sitting back in my chair. Thalia began to wake up, rubbing her eyes.

"Dr. Evans," she groaned, seeing her and the food placed on her lap.

"Glad you're awake, hun," she smiled, and they fell into their usual conversation. I smiled, missing Thalia's voice; the past two weeks had been hell.

There was no word if Thalia would make it. Yokul was killed, leaving me to finish the battle alone.

When I saw her being carried into the base, my body froze. She lay lifeless as Dr. Evans screamed for everyone to move.

We were securing the last humans, but I abandoned everything to follow the older woman. I had no idea if Thalia had been shot or harmed as she lay on the stretcher, barely breathing.

Every time I thought about it, my brain wanted to shut down. I'd never felt my heart sink so low as watching them carry her lifeless body.

I thought she was dead, and in that moment, I didn't know if I would survive. Eldrith stayed by my side every night, but it wasn't the same.

Watching her tied up with all those tubes, I blamed myself. Her life turned upside down because of me, but if we had never met, would she still be alive? Would she be fighting alongside them?

"Your father is here," Dr. Evans said, causing Thalia and me to look confused as the door opened.

A tall man who resembled her charged toward her bed, embracing her tightly. Two guards stood at the door; I knew he was one of our prisoners.

"It's good to see you," he said, glancing at me with uncomfortable eyes.

"The doctor says you're getting better. An aircraft will come soon, and we can leave this place. I'm so sorry for forcing you here, Thalia... with these—these monsters," he shouted, knowing I was in the room.

I wouldn't blame Thalia if she decided to leave. This wasn't her home. She witnessed the death of her closest friends. I hadn't told her about the council's real plan to wipe out all the humans, and for that, I would hate myself too.

"No," I heard her say quietly but sharply. Her father looked puzzled as she glanced at me.

"This is my home now," she said, indicating me. I was her home.

The general glared at me, anger in his eyes, unable to believe what she was saying. "Thalia, they destroyed everything we built," he raged.

"Your friends are all dead except for Jax and Halle! Who knows where Christopher is... probably dead because of them," he shouted. Thalia winced at the reminder.

I groaned, standing up, irritated. Thalia sat on the bed, her eyes resting on the blanket, visibly shaken by his words.

"You should get on the aircraft and head home with the rest," she whispered, looking at her father as he choked up.

"I can't lose you too," he pleaded, struggling to accept her decision.

"You won't," she assured him, wrapping her arms around him in a hug.

I stood firm as he pulled away and stepped closer. Our height difference was noticeable—he barely reached my nose—but I respected him, waiting for his next words.

"You ruined her life," he growled. "I want you to remember that for the rest of your life," he added before the guards handcuffed him and led him out of the room.

I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until the door closed and I relaxed. Thalia's expression was emotionless as I held my tongue. She watched her father walk out, and the tears she had been holding back fell down her face.

I walked over to comfort her, reaching out to touch her, but she jolted away. "I... I want to be alone," she whispered. I nodded, holding back my words.