Punishment

Lately, Vorian has been acting strangely. Ever since he saved me from those lizard creatures, he's changed. He keeps staring at me for long periods, and I don't understand why, but it makes my body warm inside. The way his eyes follow me, lingering on my body... it's all confusing and weird.

"Thalia, can you help me lift those?" Luna asked from her chair.

She was only five months pregnant but looked ready to pop. Today was Ash's battle for the throne, and everyone was excited.

Eldrith walked in, placing more baskets down. She glared at me as she walked over to Luna.

"Hol jam bak," she spoke in their language.

(Why is she here?)

Eldrith never spoke English around me. She knew I wasn't fluent and did it on purpose, always talking about me.

Luna sighed, "Ji awok bo makl."

(To help me set up, be nice.)

Eldrith huffed and stormed out. Luna gave me an apologetic look, but I didn't need it. Eldrith had hated me since the day we met, and nothing could change that.

I finished unloading the baskets and waved goodbye to Luna. I left to find Dr. Evan's; she mentioned she was working on new medicine she wanted to try.

Lately, the doctor had been getting sick, and none of us knew why. She only had a slight fever, but I was worried it could get worse.

As I turned the corner, I came face to face with Eldrith and her friends. They blocked my path, staring me down.

I folded my arms, not in the mood for any stunts. "Can you move?" I asked, stepping forward, but they stood firm.

"I'm sick of you walking around here freely," Sori grumbled, pushing my shoulder with her finger.

I didn't want to start something, but if they pushed me too far... Eldrith yanked my hair, making me scream.

"Your people killed Xan," she shouted, tightening her grip.

I gripped her shoulders, digging my nails into her skin. She screamed in pain, letting go. Thorin punched me in the stomach, and I fell to the ground. Three against one seemed unfair, but I wasn't going down easy.

"You're a disgrace to your kind and an outsider here," Eldrith shouted, slapping me hard.

I spat blood, glaring at her, anger boiling. Standing up, I kicked Thorin in the groin, making him fall. I leapt at Eldrith, knocking her to the ground and punching her hard in the face.

Sori pulled me off her as I struggled to break free. I was sick of their bullying.

"Should have left you all to die in that prison," I shouted, smirking as they grew angrier.

Eldrith came at me, but I spun on my feet, causing her to hit Sori and knock her out. I stood up, ready for Thorin's punch. I dodged, grabbed his arm, and threw him to the ground. Eldrith looked shocked, but her face changed quickly as she gripped my throat.

"You must want to die," she breathed as I clawed at her hands, struggling to breathe.

Her grip tightened, making me wheeze for air. "Eldrith!" Vorian yelled, pushing his sister to the ground.

She dropped me, and I fell, holding my throat. Vorian knelt beside me, checking my face.

More Kratens arrived, shocked by what had happened. Their mother was among them, gasping and running to her daughter.

I watched Eldrith flip the switch, fake tears streaming down her face. "She attacked us, Mother," she shouted, pointing at me.

My eyes widened at the lie. "You hit me first," I shouted, my voice aching from her chokehold.

"Get these two to the doctor," their mother instructed as Sori and Thorin were picked up.

The older woman approached me, and Vorian glared at her. She stared deeply into my eyes, pushing her son aside.

"Mother, wait," Vorian pleaded, but she didn't care.

She gripped my arm tightly, dragging me away. "You will be punished for this," she shouted.

"Mother!" Vorian shouted as she dragged me to the meeting center of the tree.

Everyone was going about their day until they saw her throw me to the ground. Eldrith smirked behind her mother as the woman called everyone around.

"This human attacked my daughter," she shouted, earning gasps from the crowd.

The king emerged, looking confused. "Pollen, what is the meaning of this?" he asked as Luna and Ash approached, equally confused.

Eldrith ran to her father, fake tears in her eyes. "We were only trying to help, and she attacked us," she lied.

"You're a liar," I shouted.

The king gave me a stern look. "You call my daughter a liar?" he asked, anger boiling in his voice.

"Let's all be rational here," Dr. Evan's tried to speak, but the king silenced her.

"Place her in the prison and give her ten lashes," he shouted, and the crowd gasped.

Did he say lashes? Fear ran down my spine. Vorian stepped forward, stopping his father as he stood in front of me.

"I'll take her punishment," he said.

Eldrith looked surprised, tugging on Vorian's arm. "Brother, what are you doing?" she asked in disbelief.

"I am responsible for her, so I shall take her punishment," he announced.

The king paused, then called his guards. They chained Vorian and took him away. Their mother screamed, begging the king to stop, but he didn't listen.

Eldrith looked scared as her brother was chained to the ground. A Kraten grabbed a thick rope with sharp thorns and began whipping him.

We watched in horror as blood splashed with each hit. I whimpered, watching as Vorian stayed silent, enduring the painful lashes.