Battle Day pt.2

Following the clan to the battle mountain, my nerves were high as I had a bad feeling about this.

Luna tried to reassure me that everything would go fine and that I had nothing to worry about, but she hadn't seen the shape he was in. The bruise on his arm looked worse this morning.

"Let's head over there," Luna said, linking my arm as she led me to the front where the family sat.

I stared at her like she was crazy as I noticed Queen Pollen already seated. "You are his mate, no matter what she thinks," Luna whispered, calming me down.

We stepped down the steep stairs and entered the lower pit. Eldrith waved at us with a sharp smile. Since she woke up, she has been extremely nice—probably because almost dying changed her.

Queen Pollen only glared at me but didn't utter a word, knowing there wasn't much else she could say. The opponents stepped onto the rock that hung high in the sky, separated from the crowd.

There was loud cheering as Queen Pollen stood up to begin. "The loss of my husband, King Uhroh, and my beloved son Ash are still felt within," she said, and everyone grew quiet.

"But we will claim a new king today," she shouted. "Let the game begin," she finished, sitting down as the men began.

We watched as Vorian grabbed his spear and ran toward his father's left-hand man. He was ten times Vorian's size and looked like a giant.

The man stopped his attack, grabbed Vorian's arm, twisted it hard, and threw him to the ground, causing everyone to groan. "That was unfair!" I shouted, standing up and pointing at Yokul.

Queen Pollen shrugged her shoulders, allowing that dangerous action. Vorian stood up, spitting out blood as he held his arm.

The bruise looked worse now, turning dark shades of purple. Luna told me to sit back down as the battle continued.

How could the Queen let her son get injured like that? We all watched as Yokul grabbed the spear and slashed Vorian's face.

He was growing weak and tired as he tried to fight him off, but the man was huge. I gritted my teeth as there was clear foul play happening.

Vorian grabbed another weapon and sprinted fast at Yokul, stabbing his arm. The man shouted in pain but was quick to pull it out.

This battle was more brutal than Ash's. "Are they allowed to do this?" I asked Luna.

She seemed shocked as well, closing her eyes here and there. "I—I'm not sure," she whispered back.

Yokul took another hit at Vorian, punching him hard in the stomach. We all groaned with him as blood spilled from his mouth and he fell.

Vorian seemed more pissed as he took deep breaths. Yokul was shouting nasty words at him. I could tell he was struggling to keep up; the pain in his arm must have been terrible.

"Get up, Vorian," Yokul shouted loud enough for the crowd to hear.

Vorian was grinning as he lay on the floor. I didn't understand why he was struggling; blood was coming from his nose as he glared at the ground.

Yokul walked over and pulled him up by the root of his head. "Your little mate is watching," he smirked.

"You act big and tough, but you're just a kid," he yelled in a mocking tone.

"Fight back," I mumbled under my breath as Vorian lay in the man's arms, tired. He had to keep going. Queen Pollen had a distasteful look on her face as she watched.

"Vorian, fight back!" I shouted as I watched Yokul lift his body high.

Vorian glanced at me before he was slammed down to the floor, ending the battle. The rock was silent as Yokul lifted his arms in glory. Queen Pollen stood up, exiting the room as the crowd cheered for the new king.

Luna glanced at me, but I was furious. They lifted Vorian's unconscious body, and I held in my tears, pushing past everyone to follow him.

Rushing through the woods, I found my way back to Olha, where they had taken Vorian into the infirmary. It wasn't as technical as their old one, but it made do.

They placed him in the water as he floated and began to treat his wounds. I glanced at his body; it looked beaten badly.

I could see tears in his eyes as he gritted his teeth, upset with himself.

Walking over, I kneeled down and held his hands as the nurses went to work. "It's alright," my voice broke as his hand squeezed mine.

The nurses were quick to patch him up as they moved his body from the water to rest in the bed. "I lost," he whispered, and I nodded sadly.

The vines were pushed aside harshly as the Queen stormed inside, Eldrith beside her. She sent everyone out as she glared at us.

"What happened out there?" she growled, glaring at a wounded Vorian.

"He was too strong, Mother. I used all my strength," he said, sitting up. I tried to push him back down to rest, but he halted my movement.

"How could you do this, Vorian! Your grandfathers never lost a match, not once. You are the son of Uhroh," she shouted, anger boiling in her throat.

Her words were harsh, and I could see pain in her eyes. "I'm sorry I'm not like him," Vorian whispered.

"You should have been the one to die... not your brother," she whispered.

We all gasped at her words. She didn't mean that... she couldn't.

"Mother, don't say that," Eldrith shouted, but the Queen was stern.

"You are a disgrace to this family along with that human mate of yours," she said before leaving.

Vorian didn't say anything; he was silent. Eldrith had tears in her eyes as she held her hair. "She's just grieving, Vorian. Don't listen to anything she says," she tried to reason, but her words fell flat.