Dandelions

We must have been walking for at least two hours now. I couldn't tell if we were getting closer as I simply followed Vorian's lead.

In the past two hours, we found a way to stop our snappy comments towards each other. He was still growling and groaning, but it was less aggressive.

"Your Earth really has no plants?" he asked as we continued on our journey.

"Mankind is brutal... they destroyed everything," I expressed, memories of those days flooding back.

Diseases began to spread at a steady pace, and oxygen was low. People are barely surviving right now, and our population has fallen.

"That is why they come here?" he asked, and I nodded to his question.

"We're just looking for a home," I stressed, hearing a negative tone in his voice.

Vorian stopped walking, his body taking a deep breath. "Humans don't want a home. They only want control," he whispered before walking again.

I sighed, knowing that wasn't true for all of us. We came upon long vines. Pushing them aside, my eyes glittered at the array of flowers laying inside.

"Here," Vorian said as I ran inside, touching the yellow and white flowers. Dandelions were my mother's favorite flowers. When they bloomed in the spring, she always told me to make a wish.

I picked a few up, holding them dear to my heart as I made a wish before blowing off the petals. Vorian watched from the side, quiet as he let me do my thing.

"My mother loved these growing up," I spoke as he came closer, kneeling beside me.

"They were the last flower to go extinct," I laughed sadly. "Whenever I see them, I think of my mother."

"Where is she?" he asked, concern laced in his voice.

Sniffling a bit, I pulled myself together. "Well... she died like the rest. The lack of oxygen made her sick," I explained.

Vorian was quiet as he took in my words. "Humans destroyed your family," he mumbled, causing me to wipe my tears and stare at him.

In some way, yes... they did. "Sorry for getting emotional," I said, wiping my face, trying to pat it dry.

Vorian took his finger and wiped a few away. "You're not like the rest," he said, which caused me to stare at him funny.

"Why do you say that?" I asked curiously.

"I'm not sure yet," he replied, standing up. I grabbed a few flowers and gave them to him.

"Make a wish," I asked eagerly. He stared at the plant oddly as I nodded my head for him to do it.

He rolled his eyes before closing his eyes and blowing away the petals. I clapped excitedly as we exited the meadow.

"Does your clan not worry for you?" Vorian questioned as we began to walk back.

"They do, but I usually always disappear," I smirked. They knew I didn't spend much time around people, so not many would suspect a thing at this hour.

"What was that beast last night?" I asked as Vorian pushed all the leaves out of the way for me.

"She's called Jovak," he said, the name sending shivers down my back.

"The most dangerous animal on this planet. Yet that night you managed to stab her," he added, giving me a proud smirk.

"I'm a skilled fighter," I bragged as Vorian laughed at me. I had never heard his laugh, and I felt odd hearing it. His voice went low as he rumbled.

We continued to walk through the forest as Vorian led me back home. It was daylight, so I could see a lot more nature than last night. This place was unbelievable; honestly, I had never seen nature so alive.

I wondered if this is how Earth used to look years before I was born.

"Your planet is just beautiful," I remarked, touching every leaf around.

"It is all thanks to Ohla. She is our power source," he replied, as I remembered that name from Dr. Evan's studies.

"I was told it's like some kind of spiritual bond," I explained, but Vorian shook his head aggressively, indicating that information was wrong.

"Humans have been studying us for 10 years and still don't get us," he joked. "She is not a mere spirit; she is the root of this forest," he said, raising his hands above the sky as I watched birds fly from trees and the sound of bugs buzz.

I could see our information on them has been mixed up. But given we don't have much access anymore, it goes to show.

We began to approach familiar grounds that I remembered were close to my border. Vorian paused as we stood in the bushes.

"Beyond these leaves, you'll find your base," he said nonchalantly as I nodded my head.

Our adventure was fun, and I really enjoyed learning from him. Playing with my hands, I thought for a second as I didn't want to go back home exactly.

"Will I see you again?" I asked, nerves running up my skin.

Vorian stared, confused at my question, as it was odd to even ask. We're two different creatures struggling to live among each other, and here I am asking to hang out.

"No," was his final word before walking away.

I huffed as at least I tried. Vorian was hard to understand; one minute he seems like he cares, then the next like I'm a lowlife human.

Shaking my head, I entered the base quietly. Looking around, the schoolyard was empty as I assumed everyone went home.