Chapter 4: Fire from Sky

That's it! The dreaded threat arrived and brought fire to the earth. Don't hesitate to vote, if you liked it, or to comment.

Lutsey's point of view

Sitting at our family home, I stared at Kiri and Lo'ak. One looked disillusioned, playing with a braid of her hair, while the other had her ears down, looking tormented.

Me: I'm listening.

Kiri: I have nothing to say.

By Eywa! She reminded me of my oldest daughter, when she acted like that.

Me: Really, Kiri?

Kiri: Yes.

Me: Kiri, I know that it is difficult to carry human blood. My twins, like you, inherited it. That doesn't mean that you are different. What matters is the heart. Not appearance.

Although she was trying to be indifferent, I could see that my words made her feel good, by the little smile she gave me.

Me: You remind me of your mother, you know? Besides having inherited her face, you also have her thirst to learn, and to explore the lands of Eywa.

Kiri: Mom often tells me that. I wish I had known her.

She gave a melancholic sigh at that. I didn't know how to answer, not knowing Grace as well as my sister.

Me: I know her less than Neytiri. So her words are probably more relevant than mine. Besides, you can always see her, in Eywa. She will be there, when you need her.

I saw a small tear slip from her left cheek, with a smile of thanks. I returned it, before turning to Lo'ak

Me: And you, my favorite nephew?

Lo'ak smiling: I thought it was Siwey and Roltyun?

Me, amused: Why should I choose?

He continued to smile, but I could still see the confusion in his eyes.

Me: What is it, Lo'ak?

Lo'ak: I feel like...an anomaly in my family and in the clan. I am the only one with five fingers and feet, except for Father and Kiri. To have eyebrows in my eyes. I...I don't feel like I belong. I try...but I can't do it.

I felt touched by the obvious distress of my sister's young son. I knew I had to choose my words carefully, to comfort this lost heart.

Me: Listen to me, Lo'ak. I was like you, at your age. I was the only one in my family with orange eyes. But I never let that discourage me. And do you know why?

Lo'ak: Why?

Me: Because I had my family to help me. Trust your parents and your siblings. Don't close your heart to them. And be patient. One day, you will find...

I didn't have time to finish, when a warning shout from the sentry interrupted us. We hurried over, all surprised and worried, wondering what was going on. Then, looking up, we saw a bright blue star in the distance, looking brighter and brighter. Until it revealed a blinding light, getting closer and closer to the ground.

Tsylan frightened: Evacuate the Kelutral! Now! No time to pack! To the Ikrans and the Pa'lis now!

I wondered the reasons for my beloved's panic, until I saw the beginning of smoke coming from the blue lights of the huge metal bird. Was this what he was afraid of? I trusted him. And if he thought it was dangerous to evacuate quickly, there was a reason. However, I felt a tear in my heart and turned to my husband, hoping he could not tell me what I feared.