Chapter 19: Council

Hi there, here's the continuation with a little bit about a certain skywalker. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Lutsey's point of view

The days passed and I began to get used to my new home. Ready to accept the ocean as my new home. Its blessings, like its law. My twin sister also arrived, following Ronal's teachings well, while Neytiri found it much harder to accept her new life. While Jake went with Tonowari to learn how to tame a Tsurak, she stayed in the tent, alone. It hurt me to see her so unhappy. She was always there when I needed her. Maybe it was time for my turn. So I took the day off to visit my sister. She was there, seemingly looking after the household and tasting the food, cautiously. Although she seemed confident, I could see that she was worried, lost and unsure of what to do. Being in an environment she had no control over, of which she knew nothing. And I could understand her fear.

Me: Neytiri?

She snapped out of her thoughts and fixed me with a reassuring smile. Although she was wearing the clothes of the reef, notably her aquatic necklace colored in harmonious green and orange and a bright orange loincloth, set with pearls. Just the sight of this, observing elements of her former life, was enough to confirm what I'd been thinking.

For my part, I began to get used to my surroundings, wearing aquatic leaf clothing with a dark blue base and orange foliage, in reference to my eyes, accompanied by shells. On my left flank was my Palulukan toothed blade, which I'd carried since childhood. Like Neytiri, whose Tsahik-inspired wrist I recognized, with its famous obsidian blade. No longer in combat, I let my hair grow and it now covered my upper back. Just like my eldest daughter. A light, dark purple loincloth completed the ensemble. I owed this ease of adaptation to my experience with the Menariyä. My sister didn't have this to learn from, and I was determined to help her do just that.

Neytiri: Oh, little sister. Aren't you with Ronal and Joltsyn, continuing your training?

Me: I should be, but there's something more important than my training.

Neytiri: What's that?

Me: You.

She stopped and watched me, her ears lowered. I went over to her, putting a hand on her right shoulder.

Me: I know you're not well, big sister. You know I'm always here, if you need to talk.

My big sister kept her ears down, soon followed by her eyes. She didn't want to admit it, but I could see her silent suffering. So I suggested we sit down, me opposite her. Neytiri sighed, but followed my lead.

Me calmly: I'm listening, big sister

Neytiri's ears lowered. Lutsey...I'm lost. I've lost my bearings. The forest was my home. I was born there and lived there. Here, everything is different. I feel...so powerless and like I don't belong. How do you manage to adapt so quickly, little sister? Don't you miss the forest?

Me: Of course I do, big sister. The forest, like you, is my whole life. I was born and raised there. But now we're mothers. We must guide our children along the best possible path. Even if it's difficult for us.

Neytiri: I know... I think about it all the time. Setting an example for my children. But...I miss the trees so much, little sister. Here, I feel like an intruder, an anomaly.

Me: And it won't get any better, little sister, if you stay in your corner, moping and waxing nostalgic. Looking back with nostalgia won't help you move forward.

Neytiri, slightly annoyed: You want me to forget where I come from? Where our family has always lived, until now?

Me, calmly: No, big sister. Far be it from me to entertain such a thought. I, too, sometimes think of our native land. But when I see my children, I know I can't stay that way. That I must move on, to enable them to build the best possible future. I know that what Tsylan would want is what I want too. And to do that, I have to accept change, even if it's difficult.

She looked at me for a moment, seemingly shocked, before closing her eyes.

Neytiri smiled: When did you become so wise, little sister? I hardly recognize the rebellious girl you once were.

Me: Maybe that's why you're having trouble moving on, Neytiri. You dwell too much in the past, with its painful wounds. Take this new beginning as a way of healing them and offering your children a better future. For they need us more than ever to guide them along the right path. Especially in these troubled times.