Chapter 20: Fight

Kaltxi! Here's a continuation of the life of the Tolyn and Tolyn family within the Metkayina. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

A'onung's point of view

I didn't know what was happening to me. I've never felt this way about anyone before. As the days went by, I could feel them building up inside me, strange feelings. What were these strange feelings I had for my apprentice? I was sitting outside our marwui, staring pensively at the ocean. Trying to solve this mystery since the arrival of the stranger.

Voice: Is something wrong, son?

I snapped out of my thoughts and saw my father coming closer, sitting down next to me. I stared into his pale blue eyes, watching me with a concerned look.

Me: Nothing, Father.

Father: I could believe it, if your tone didn't indicate otherwise.

I growled, turning my head. I didn't need my father getting involved in my problems. How could he understand them?

Father: What's at the center of your thoughts?

I stared at him, silent, growling.

Father smiled: Or maybe who?

Me: Why do you care now?

Father: Because you've never been like this before. Who, then?

I remained silent, not wanting to satisfy his curiosity.

Mother: The answer is obvious, Tonowari. She's the eldest Tolyn.

Me, red: Mother!

Mother: Why deny it? It's obvious from the way you look at her when she's not watching you. I'm surprised she's a foreigner and not one of our tribe.

Me: I'm like you, Mother.

Father: We don't choose our heart's desire. It happens naturally. But I must say...a Koltyan?

Me: What's wrong with that?

No matter how bad her family's reputation was, I couldn't consider backing out. Twaly had such grace and beauty, as well as a strong personality. Befitting someone like me and my status.

Mother: The Koltyans are reputed to be great fighters, but with a rather strong personality. If you want her, my son, it won't be easy to get her heart. It won't be like the other girls.

Me: She'll be able to see my charms.

She looked at me with her usual coldness.

Mother: You're far too trusting, my son.

Father: Yes. Be careful not to have too much ego. Or you'll fall hard, my son. If you want to have her heart, you have to be able to understand her.

Me: I expected you to disagree with my choice.

Mother: If it was when they arrived, yes. But I've seen Lutsey and her family's efforts to integrate into our clan. What's more, she comes from a line of chiefs and her mate was Tsahik. So I don't see any problem with a possible union.

Father: I don't mind either. Lutsey is a great warrior and possesses a certain wisdom.

Mother: Don't be too hasty, Tonowari. We still have to discuss this. Don't forget that A'onung is destined to be the next chief of our tribe. The choice of his mate should not be taken lightly. Especially when he's about to become an adult.

Me, getting up: Let me know when you've finished.

Mother: A'onung! Where are you going?

Me: To change my mind.