Chapter 23: Payakan

Hi, here's the next part of the story, with an encounter with a certain whale. Feel free to vote if you liked it or to comment.

Sarya's point of view

I was preparing for my trip to parley with the Aranahe, whose Tsahik's death has taken them out of the fight against the RDA with the Resistance. But the intervention of Etuwa, their current young Tsahik, inviting me to come along after saving us from an unfortunate situation, left us with an opening for negotiation. I remained convinced that we could help them, but how? I wouldn't know until I got there. However, I was thinking about that strange dream. It was the sequel to the one that preceded my dream, after a long sleep in cryostasis. Who was this Tsikey invading my mind, since my awakening?

Ri'nela: How are you, Sarya? You seem out of it.

Me: I'm thinking about my last dream.

Ri'nela: Do you want to talk about it?

I was looking at my great friend and clan sister. The last Sarentu, with me.

Me: Ever since I woke up, a...Na'vi has been invading my thoughts. At least, I think it is.

Ri'nela: Why do you doubt?

Me: He...There are some strange signs. First of all, he has five fingers on his hands, like Alma's avatar. And then...his eyes are orange.

Alma : Orange, you say?

We looked at our teacher, who stared at us in surprise. She had changed very little, despite the years. Although we could see a few wrinkles on her skin, she was exactly the same as the one who had saved us and plunged us into that long, dreamless sleep in the metal boxes. I looked at her, intrigued, as did my Sarentus friends.

Me: Yes.

Alma: It's not possible...I thought they'd disappeared a long time ago!

Me: What's that?

So'lenk: The Menariyä Tunti or Orange-Eyed Clan. They're fearsome warriors and quite hostile to the Sky People. I've heard rumors from other clans that they've survived and are living in hiding. Some even saw the chief carrying a child during the war.

Me: You think this Tsikey...

He inclined his head in reply.

So'lenk: I think so, yes. Especially as their leader's father bore the same name. However, he's not entirely na'vi, since he has five fingers. I find it hard to believe that a Menariyä, especially the chief, could have united with a dream walker. Nevertheless, the Toruk Makto was one, so anything's possible. If the Great Mother showed you the Chief's child, it's because he'll undoubtedly play a role in your future.

Given the reputation, it would undoubtedly be an advantage to have a clan member on our side in the fight against the Sky People. But why was the chief's son haunting my mind? I had to know why.

Alma: For now, let's concentrate on the Arahnae. We'll see about the Menariyä. Until we have concrete proof, we'll have to concentrate on that.

So'lenk: Certainly, but keep this in mind. The Great Mother doesn't give visions for nothing. And if you were able to see this Menariyä, it's because he will play a role.

Alma: I'm not convinced. For me, it's part of the dream.

Norr: What if it's more than that? After all, we never saw or knew this clan until Sarya started dreaming about it.

Me: Yes, but Alma's right. We'll have to concentrate on the present first. If I should come across him, that will come in due course.

Indeed, it was important to rally the Arahnae to our fight. I would have to keep a certain pragmatism to fight against Mercer and the RDA. However, I kept in mind that strange young man named Tsikey, who had been haunting my dreams since I woke up.