Chapter 22: Disappearance

Here's the continuation of the story with the consequences of the fight and A'onung's action in the Rock of the Three Brothers. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Twaly's point of view

Me: I find your father's decision harsh and incomprehensible, Neteyam. Lo'ak defended Kiri, against them. And he has to apologize?!

Neteyam: A'onung is the son of the chief and the Tsahik, Twaly.

Me: So what? It's not supposed to be protection. He went looking for a fight and he got it! If he goes crying to his parents, he's not a man!

Neteyam: Tonowari and Ronal have agreed to welcome us into their clan. It's the least we can do to be respectful.

Me: That doesn't excuse it!

Neteyam: That's your problem, Twaly. You're too hot-blooded to think straight and take a step back.

His words were reminiscent of those of my late father, and I couldn't help lowering my head and my ears. Just thinking about him was still painful. My cousin seemed to realize his blunder and put a hand on his shoulders.

Neteyam: If I've said something wrong...

Me: No, Neteyam. You have once again said the right thing. It reminds me of...Father.

Neteyam: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...

Me: It's all right, Neteyam.

He seemed so perfect, all the makings of a good leader. Suffering from almost no flaws, unlike me. How could I compete with him? I could never become a leader like him. He was the perfect fusion of Uncle Jake and Neytiri. All the makings of a good leader. Suddenly, something caught my eye. I could see A'onung and his gang walking along the beach, smiling. But there was no sign of Lo'ak. This began to worry me, and I turned to Neteyam, whose eyes and ears seemed to mirror my own. And I could feel his concern growing in intensity, as sinister thoughts passed through us. If that jerk had hurt my cousin, he'd better beg Eywa to take him in her arms very soon, to escape my wrath. So we approached, trying as best we could to hold back my rising anger as I stared at the grinning idiots.

A'onung to Neteyam: Have you come to apologize too?

Neteyam: No. Where's my brother?

He looked at Rotxo and another fellow with a smile that already made me want to punch him in the face. I had to fight myself not to punch him.

A'onung: Well... We were walking far from the shore... He probably got lost along the way.

The other two laughed and that was too much for me. Before I could think, I punched the chief's son in the stomach. With a kick, I knocked over the accompanying Metkayina. Then I pinned Rotxo's fist with my arm and knocked him down with a catch. Then I grabbed A'onung's hair with a firm grip and looked him in the eye.

Me: Where's my cousin? I'd advise you to tell me very quickly, if you don't want me to surgically rearrange your face.

Neteyam: I'd advise you to cooperate, A'onung. Twaly's not the patient type.

A'onung: Your cousin?!

I could see surprise and fear in his eyes, having seen how quickly I was able to subdue his friends.

Me: Yes, my cousin. What were you thinking, you idiot?

He felt strangely confused and guilty.

Neteyam: Can you let him go, Twaly? I think he'll be cooperative.

Me: He'd better be.

So, I released him and stared at the others with a dark look. Both stared at me with terror in their eyes. It had to be said that Father had trained Tsikey and me well to deal with our future threats. I didn't need to say anything, as my eyes showed all the anger I contained.