Chapter 27: Trials

Hello! The story continues with Twaly, Sarya and Lutsey's quest to become part of the Metkayina clan.

Lutsey's point of view

Twaly's acceptance surprised me. I thought she would have refused. Perhaps I didn't know my daughter as well as I thought. Despite our efforts, I could still see mistrust, and sometimes contempt, towards us on the part of the Metkayina. This situation reminded me of Tsylan, when I brought him to the clan. But suffering it myself was something else. I had to take it upon myself to ignore them. There would be no point in trying to solve the problem head-on, and I risked complicating it. I could only hope that time and Eywa would be able to clear minds. Tsylan...You only realize how important dear people are when they're gone. He was essential to my life, and his absence was a cruel reminder of that. Joltsyn was on a family outing with Kil'wey, their daughter and the eldest Sully. I smiled, amused. It looks like our family can be reunited, but not the way we thought before.

Neytiri: That's the first time I've seen you smile in a while, little sister.

I turned my gaze back to Neytiri and Jake as we continued to prepare supplies for future trips, like hunting. This one finally convinced me to spend some time with them, not wanting to leave me alone. She, better than anyone except Joltsyn, knew the weight on my heart.

My singing necklace resounded with this sound, at once combative yet with a funereal note. Sometimes, the beads sounded vivid, marking the happiest periods of my life, notably the birth of my cubs and my union with Tsylan, on that magnificent floating hill. Where our bodies and minds were united, witnessed only by Eywa. And having given birth to my first offspring.

Jake: I hear you'll soon be bonding with a Tsurak, as will your eldest. Congratulations to you both.

Me: Thanks, Jake. I hear you've already done it.

Jake smiles: I skipped a few steps.

Me: Tonowari likes you, Jake and respects you. That's a good thing.

Jake: I agree.

Indeed, in a few days' time, I was going to have to bond with a Tsurak. The preferred mount of Metkayina hunters and warriors, it could both fly for a while and then dive back into the water. Along with the Akula, it was one of the great predators of the oceans. Bonding with it was a kind of Iknimaya for us. However, Ronal and Tonowari were more hopeful for Twaly, who would also soon have to pass. This showed the confidence and expectations weighing on her. And I even wondered if they didn't hope she'd be able to meet her spiritual sister soon. I felt compassion and sadness just thinking about it. My little one was only fifteen years old, and she already had so much weight on her shoulders. The fact that she hadn't broken down worried me as much as it made me proud. It showed her mental strength, but it wasn't inexhaustible. I hoped she wouldn't shut me out, for fear of burdening me further. I had to change the subject, to avoid falling back into my doldrums. And obviously, the relationship between Elya and Neteyam came to mind.

Me smiling: I found it amusing that Neteyam and Elya had grown so close. Originally, you wanted to unite the latter, with Twaly. It looks like Eywa has acceded to our wishes in some way.

Jake: Yes. Or maybe I just didn't see what was right under my nose

Neytiri: Nobody noticed, Jake. Not even me.

I could feel the couple's concern, through their downcast eyes and ears. Both showed it differently, but I could detect the fear for their family. I understood Jake's fear, sharing it. Even if I disapproved of the way he treated his sons, it was understandable for all that. He knew better than me and my sister the ravages of war and the Sky People. And our situation in the aquatic clan wasn't exactly ideal.