Chapter 9

Seulgi's POV

"Thank you, but you shouldn't have bothered, and I-"

"Who said I cared? Mom just handed it to me," she scoffed.

My smile vanished in an instant. She doesn't give a damn about me. Why did I expect anything when I knew she'd never return my feelings?

My appetite has vanished. I just chose to eat even if I was hungry because I don't like wasting food and, besides, Mom cooked it.

I simply eat quietly while bowing my head. I'm not going to look at her right now. I can tell she's looking at me. So I just ate more quickly.

"A-ah, please tell Mom I said hello and thank you for the food. I'll go first, Ms. Bae." I hurriedly stood up and put away what I had eaten before heading straight to the door to leave.

I never returned her stare. Because I know I'm going to get hurt. I'm not willing to be hurt again. I hoped once more, thinking we were making progress. I just assumed so.

I gave a bitter smile. When will I realize? Even though I'm used to it, hearing those words in front of you still hurts.

Because my lunch break had not yet ended, I went to the roof deck first. I need to get some fresh air.

The cold wind blew in my face. Because the clouds are dark, I believe it will rain. The weather appears to be aware of how I am feeling.

I let out a sigh. Will you still love me if I refuse the proposal? Will you still hate me if you find out why I accept it? Will we go back in time?

I'm puzzled. I must confess that I am pleased that you are paying attention to me, even if only for a brief moment. But, Hyun, how long will this last?

I've always said I could do it. I'm still capable, but please don't mess with my heart. You're always giving me signs that I don't understand. What do you truly want?

Perhaps we're content in another universe. Even if I don't have any, I wish you happiness. I'm glad I saved you, even if it meant losing my happiness.

---

"Where are you, Seul?" Seungwan questioned. I'm still on the roof deck. I know lunch is over, but I can't bring myself to go back to work.

"They're looking for you here, and we're not finished yet," he added.

I let out a sigh. "I'm coming down. Just start it, after all, we only need to do finishing touches," I said dryly, not wanting to respond.

"Are you okay-" I cut Seungwan off and ended the call.

I have an answer to his question. And I'm not fine. I'll never be fine.

I sighed once more before deciding to descend. It's time to return.

Someone grabbed my hand as I was about to walk into our department. "Hi!"

"Oh Jennie, why are you here? I thought you were going to eat lunch?" I frowned.

"I just finished my lunch, and I'm here to invite you to dinner because you said you'd treat me," she blushes slightly and smiles sweetly at me.

"But if you're not available, it's fine. I guess I'll eat alone again," she replied, sadly.

I'm feeling guilty again because I previously rejected her. I'm not going to do anything later, so let's just agree.

"All right, I'll treat you as a compensation for earlier, and I'm sorry if-" I was still talking when she cut me off me by kissing my cheeks.