Chapter 32

HUNT

"When I grow up, I want to be a pilot."

I remembered giggling while raising my airplane toy to the sky. It was a sunny morning in the garden. I woke up and saw Dad having his creamed coffee.

"Why do you want to be a pilot?" Nakangiti niyang hinawi ang buhok ko.

My smile widened even more. "Because I want to fly planes, Dad. I want to be a pilot like you!"

He chuckled. "But you can't just be a pilot because you want to be like me and you want to fly planes. You have to love it, Hunt. You need a burning passion."

"I love it, Dad. You always say it's fulfilling to bring people not just to their dream destinations but also to their homes. I want to bring people back to their homes."

He ruffled my hair. "Kung ganoon, magiging piloto ka, Yohan Thaddeus."

"Really, Daddy? Do you think so?" Kinulit ko siya. As a kid, I partially believed that older people know a lot to the point that they can predict the future. Because they always speak so certain, so confident.

He nodded. "Suarez ka, Hunt. Anak kita. Daddy is sure, you will be one of the best pilots in the world."

My eyes drew hearts. Niyakap ko sa leeg ang ama kaya muntikan pang matapon ang kape niya. He laughed again. "Oh, Yohan." He enveloped me as I sat on his lap.

"Daddy, when I became a pilot. Ikaw, si Mommy, at si abuela ang una kong isasakay sa airplane tapos magta-travel tayo sa far na mga places."

He nodded. "I can't wait for that to happen, son."

"When I became a pilot, I will save a lot of money. So you don't have to work anymore. You, Mommy, abuela, and me will have more time to play, right?"

Hinaplos niya ang pisngi ko. "Right."

I giggled. "I love you, Daddy!"

"I love you, Hunt." Pinisil niya ang ilong ko.

My father used to be the best. When a teacher asked us to draw a superhero, I drew him. When they asked me a role model, I wrote his name. When introducing myself, I would always say my surname loudly. So everyone would know I'm a Suarez. So everyone would know that I'm the son of Martino Suarez, the pilot, the great CEO, the best father.

During Sundays, I would spend the day with him talking about how high my dreams were. Like that Sunday.

"Ano ang pinag-uusapan ng mag-ama ko?" Dumating si Mom at abuela sa hardin.

"Naku, Regina. Malamang ay pinagtsitsimisan ka ng dalawa."

Mom narrowed his eyes at me. "Totoo ba 'yon, Hunt? Ano ang sinasabi mo sa Daddy mo?"

Dad and I looked at each other. I giggled. "Nothing, Mommy. We were just talking about planes and skies."

"We're talking about how he can be the best pilot," Dad added.

"Talaga? You were not talking about how bossy Mommy is?"

I nodded. "I promise."

"Naku, huwag kang maniwala sa batang nangangako. Tandaan mo, kay Pinocchio mo 'yan ipinaglihi," biro ni abuela.

Natawa si Mom. "Kayong magkamukha talaga. Isali niyo naman ako."

"Oh, sige, hindi na ako sasali. Kayo na lang pamilya ang mag-bonding. Magluluto na si abuela ng umagahan."

"Mommy, you should go to abuela. Dad and I are talking about a secret."

"Right, Mommy," si Dad. "Just boys talk."