Explosive New Year

TW: mention of domestic abuse.

"You coming in the snow or what?"

"Mara?" Rose tried with again, turning to look back at her, her eyebrows furrowing in concern when the girl in question didn't move or react at all.

"Mara?!" Oh my God. That voice. So similar... It sounded just like... like...

"Mar?! Mara, sweetheart! You ready to go to the beach?"

No. "Yes, mom!" I straighten the straps of my swimming suit and put on the first T-shirt I came across in the mess of her room.

"Mara?"

"I'm coming!" I grab my sunglasses and my favourite hat. I'd never had a hat before, but since mom has given me one for my birthday, hats had been my favourite possession.
I hop out of my room and slid down the banister.

Today is a normal day on the beach. This has become my routine. I come back from school, jump into my swimming suit and get into the car with my mother. Mom always brings ham sandwiches for lunch (that's why I hat them so much now).

Today is no different. Or so I thought.

"Use your feet to walk down the stairs, Mara. You don't want to fall down." A cold voice warns me.

Oh, no. Not him. I hate him. John, I mean, mom's new boyfriend. As if he knew what I want!

"Yes. Sorry." I'm not sorry. Why would I be? This guy is stealing my mom from me. Look! He's putting her bags in the boot of the car. He simles at her in that stupid way of his and she laughs as he whispers something in her ear. He opens the car door and waites for Mom to get in. I frown.

Since when is he coming to the beach with us? He never does.

When I trot past him, he frownes,
and I catch it, but he doesn't say anything, so I keep going. Maybe
it'll be okay.

The adults are silent as Josh drives us to the beach. I try to concentrate on the songs that play, but my eyes keep wandering from Josh's fingers tapping on the steering wheel to his other hand, which is entwined with mom's. I can tell she's pleased he decided to come with us today.

When the car stops I jolt out of my trance. I've been staring at the spot of dirt on the car window for too long.

What's wrong with me?

"Babe, you all right?" Mom asks with a concerned face as she opens my door. John says he's going to plant the umbrella, and the fact that mom doesn't wait for a reply from me before turning and walking down to the beach breaks my heart.

I didn't know that back then, but from that moment on my mother would always choose him over me.

Mom settles under her umbrella and spears fruit from the glass container she brought.

I lie out on my towel with my fantasy book, but it's hot out already, so I peel off my shirt and toss it to the side.

"You want some fruit, Mara?"

"I'm good, thanks."

My face is buried in my book, so I don't see them at first, but I hear it, breaking through the hum of the beach and curl of the waves: a sharp whistle and 'look at that', three words smashed into a laughing.

Three teenage guys walk down
the beach past us. I don't even look up from my book - this's been happenining since last summer - I just flip to the next page.