The Last Chance

Rose smiled. "Ask me." She whispered.

"Okay. Uh...Will you, Rose Granger-Weasley, go on a date with me?"

Whispers spread among the students surrounding them. No one expected Rose to say yes -- she'd turned him down countless times before.

Instead of doing that, though, Rose pulled Scorpius close and kissed him on the cheek. "I will!"

Rose started to wonder if agreeing to go on a date with Scorpius Malfoy had been a good idea when Scorpius took her hand in his - squeezing way too tight - and dragged her to Honeydukes.

Honeydukes? Seriously? This was supposed to be like... a serious date, right?

She's thought he'd bring her to Madam Puddifut's, or at least at the Three Brooksticks. She had to admit that she was a little disappointed. Still, she rather liked Honeydukes.

She just supposed they would be going somewhere else later.

But later never seemed to come. Scorpius spent nearly two hours browsing the sweetshop, pointing out his favourite candies.

By the time they had finished, Rose knew every shelf in the shop by heart and had filled half of her basket with sweets for her cousin Lily, Chocolate Frogs for Hugo and even some Acid Pops for her mom - she hated those.

Scorpius, on the other hand, paid for two full bags of candies. There were Bertie Bott's Every Falvour Beans and Fizzing Whizzbees for Albus, as Scorpius explained, Exploding Bonbons for his father and way too many packets of Back Pepper Imps for him.

"I'm addicted to them. Seriusly, they're the best." Scorpius said, chewing a Pepper Imp. "What kind of sweets do you like."

"I... uh... really like Chocolate Frogs, and I suppose Licorice Wands are alright."

"Just 'alright'?" Scorpius asked, smirking.

"Okay, maybe I do have like five packets in my trunk back at school. I usually eat them while studying."

They sat down near Honeydukes, on the staircase of a house that looked unhabited. Rose looked at a happy little girl holding a purple lollipop as she run past them and smiled.

"Have you ever tried Jelly Slugs?" Scorpius went on as he browsed in one of his bags. "They look disgusting but they taste so good!"

"I... I don't think I've ever tried them?" Rose said.

"Here." Scorpius opened a little bag and handed her a few Slugs. "They don't bite, I promise."

Rose took them, "They look like real slugs."

"Real slugs aren't green." Scorpius corrected.

Rose felt something squirm in her hand and squealed, dropping the Slugs on the stairs. "They move!"

Scorpius chuckled. "Should've told you about that. Albus did the same when he first tried some." Scorpius gave her some more and this time Rose was extra careful not to drop the candies. She eyed them warily.

"Eat." Scorpius encouraged her.

Rose took a fortifying breath and dropped a Slug in her mouth. She chewed and the Slug tasted really good like Scorpius had predicted. "Wow. That's..." She couldn't really describe how they tasted, but it was something like pineapple and strawberry.

"Delicious, right?" Scorpius said, smiling.

Rose wondered if they were ever going to leave that staircase. There were less and less groups of students walking around in the streets by the minute, and she was pretty sure she'd heard a girl say to her friends that they'd "better hurry to the Carriages before they were all full."