Part 16

"Hi Mum" Dec smiled the next day as he and Ant were greeted at Anne's door.

"Not got a kiss for your mum then?" Anne replied,while tapping her cheek.

Dec rolled his eyes,but obligingly did as he was told.

"Hi Anne" Ant said as he followed Dec into the hallway and immediately kissed her on the cheek.

"Well,this is a nice surprise" Anne beamed,as the three of them sat down at the kitchen table "wasn't expecting to see you two today?"

"Yeah,I know" Dec nodded "just wanted to talk to you about something,is Dad here?"

"Not at the moment" Anne replied "he's taken the car to get washed and cleaned,probably won't be too long though"

"That damn Toyota Previa" Dec laughed towards Ant "it's his pride and joy,had it for years and we'd all squeeze into it when we were kids,stinks though"

"Of what?" Ant frowned.

"For some reason" Dec continued "he used to think it would be a good idea to wash the inside as well as the outside with soap and water,thankfully he doesn't do that anymore"

"That's nuts" Ant laughed.

"He says he's going to give it to me eventually" Dec stated.

"Do you even want it?" Ant asked.

"It's a part of our family" Dec grinned "when it packs up,I'm going to have it cut up into tiny pieces and the first one thousand people who buy my autobiography will get a piece"

"You see how the craziness runs in my family Ant?" Anne smiled.

"I certainly do" Ant grinned.

"Anyway" Anne said "what is it you want to talk about?must be important for you to pay me an impromptu visit"

"Hey,I often visit you" Dec announced "that's why I wanted to stay nearby,so I could see you regularly and not just when you're on tour with me"

"I know" Anne smiled fondly "I'm just teasing you"

"There can't be many musicians who take their mums on tour" Ant mused.

"Well,it's my job" Anne shrugged "to make all the outfits,for him and the dancers"

"We never travel together though" Dec stated.

"Why not?" Ant asked curiously.

"Because that would be too much" Dec replied "we'd drive each other crazy"

"Fair enough" Ant laughed.

"Ooh Ant" Anne suddenly said "come with me,I'll show you all the costumes for the tour,they're in my dressing room"

"Mum" Dec sighed "we've come to talk to you,I've got something to tell you"

"Oh,that can wait" Anne smiled "this won't take a minute,you wait here"

"You've made all of these?" Ant asked as he looked around the dressing room in amazement "they're incredible,so colourful and flamboyant"

"Thanks" Anne beamed "but no,I didn't just make them by myself,I have staff...a brilliant team who have been by my side for years"

"Can't wait to see Dec in some of this stuff" Ant grinned "well,some more of this stuff,obviously I've already seen some of his outfits on the UK leg of his tour"

"Speaking of which" Anne replied "we'd better get back to him before he starts sulking"

"Your mum is a very talented dressmaker" Ant smiled as he and Anne rejoined Dec in the kitchen "those costumes are something else"