Part 35

"These are beautiful" Dec smiled as he took the cufflinks out of the box "thank you"

"You're welcome" Ant smiled "and I hope this has helped to ease the pain of what has happened today just a little bit?"

"It has" Dec nodded "you're so good to me,I don't know what I'd do without you"

"Well,it's just as well you're never going to be without me then isn't it?" Ant replied and kissed Dec warmly "happy birthday baby"

Dec then got up and started clearing the stuff from their meal away.

"Oh no you don't" Ant protested "I'll do that"

"I don't mind" Dec shrugged "you've done everything else"

"Yes,you do mind" Ant laughed "you hate washing up and you shouldn't have to on your birthday,you go and relax and I'll be with you very soon...here"

Ant passed Dec two glasses of wine to take into the living room.

"I love you" Dec smiled as he made his way into the living room.

"Love you too" Ant replied.

"This is how it's going to be from now on isn't it?" Dec asked sadly as Ant sat down next to him.

"What is?" Ant asked confused.

"Mum...in and out of hospital" Dec replied "until...you know...the end"

"I don't know" Ant sighed heavily "We'll just have to wait and see"

"Why her?" Dec asked "it's just not fair"

"I know" Ant nodded "cancer is such a bitch,all we can do now is make things as easy for her as possible"

"The opposite of what I did today then" Dec shrugged.

"Come on Dec" Ant sighed "don't do this again,she made it clear that she wasn't feeling right even before your argument,so stop beating yourself up about it"

"I just love her so much" Dec whispered sadly "I don't know how I'm going to cope when she's gone"

"I know" Ant nodded as he kissed Dec's forehead "I know"

"This is a birthday I'd rather forget" Dec announced.

"Hey,not all of it surely?" Ant frowned "it ended nicely didn't it?"

"Of course not all of it" Dec smiled "and yes,it ended very nicely"

The next day Anne was released from hospital and Ant and Dec went to visit her as they'd promised.

"You're actually looking pretty well Mum" Dec stated "but promise me you'll take it easy now"

"I'll try" Anne winked "but don't you worry about me,you've got a new album to promote very soon"

"Yeah,I have" Dec nodded "then the world tour,it's been years since I've done such a huge tour"

"It'll be amazing" Anne smiled.

"Don't even think about it" Dec frowned.

"What?" Anne asked innocently.

"You're not working and travelling the world with me" Dec stated firmly "not in your state"

"My state?" Anne laughed.

"You know what I mean" Dec replied "I'm sorry but I can't have you there,it would be too much for you and I'd be worrying about you constantly"

"You'll be worrying about me even if I'm not there" Anne pointed out.

"Yeah,I will" Dec frowned.

"Listen Dec" Anne took Dec's hands into hers and looked him in the eyes "I have no intention of coming on this tour with you,so don't you worry about that,but please don't spend all your time fretting about me"