13.

Jersey didn't seem frightened by the stranger who stood before her. Quickly, she managed to do a once over with a subtle expression written on her face. Amber stood beside her with her face screwed up. She was confused by the ambush. The pair did not expect the encounter, so they wanted to know what was happening.

"Who are you?" Jersey questioned the girl while giving her a once-over. She had an edgy look that matched her facial appearance. She was covered in winter attire, but Jersey realized she was tatted-judging from the neck and hand tattoos.

The tall woman ran her fingers across her blonde buzzcut and said, "Does that even matter?"

"Hell yeah, it matters," Amber spoke up with seriousness laced in her voice. "We don't know you."

"I noticed you leaving out of the vintage shop. I wanted to speak with you."

The woman tried to get closer, but Jersey's bodyguard, Nick, prevented her from doing so. He stepped forward and held his large hand out. Nick gave her a menacing look without saying anything. He wanted her to make the wrong move. The man would lay her out without hesitating.

"Woah." She raised her hands. "No need to get hostile."

Suddenly, a figure appeared that seemed to catch Jersey's attention. She blinked a few times until she realized it was her brother. Preach neared them and placed his hand on the tall woman's shoulder.

"What's going on?"

"Who is she?" Jersey pointed at the woman.

"This is Paloma." Preach answered while patting Paloma's shoulder. "She's a friend of mine." He looked around and realized that everyone wore stern expressions on their faces.

"This friend of yours...just walked up on me," Jersey spoke to her brother.

Paloma glanced at Preach and said, "I was trying to be friendly."

"Damn." Preach cursed. "This is only Paloma. She's not going to hurt you."

"We didn't know that," Amber stated while eyeing Preach. She didn't care for the young kid. In her opinion, he used Jersey to get to New York. He was not only a leech but also a self-centered bastard-Amber's opinion.

"We were across the street...at the pizzeria, and I noticed you. Through the window." Preach explained to Jersey. "I told Paloma that you were my sister, and she...decided to come over here and...meet you."

"Oh..." Jersey trailed off as she eyed her brother. She watched as he neared her. He decided to wrap his arms around her. Hesitantly, she did the same. Part of Jersey was still hurt by the situation with him being kidnapped and sold by the Italians. It hurt Jersey because Preach didn't bother to reach out to her and let her know he was safe. She was pretty sure he made sure to reach out to his girlfriend, Celeste.

"I've been in Long Island." Preach whispered in Jersey's ear. "In Montauk."

Jersey glanced at the side of her brother's face and whispered back, "What is out there?"

Preach stayed quiet, shook his head, and looked at his sister. He placed his eyes on her and said, "A friend. I'll tell you more when I'm back in Brooklyn. I can't say much because I'm out right now. Just know that I'm safe."

"Aright." Jersey pushed out softly. She felt like it was pointless to ask Preach one hundred questions. Instead of badgering the kid, she stayed calm and nodded as a sign of understanding him.

"I'm so sorry." Paloma apologized to Jersey. She neared her again, but Nick didn't bother to stop her. However, he was still prepared. "I didn't mean to startle you."