20.

Enjoy. 🩷

▲▲▲

APRIL

The brownstone in Brooklyn was finally torn down. It took the contractors months to bulldoze the building. Most of the neighbors in the neighborhood gossiped about it. They knew the property belonged to Vivienne. Most were shocked to find out her granddaughter, Jersey, purchased it.

The contractors carried out a thorough conversation with Jersey. They wanted to inform her of the updates and what they were dealing with. Malcolm was right by her side, taking in the information. She was thankful for his support-it felt good having someone around who could break down the situation while aiding simultaneously.

Jersey planned to get the rest of the lot cleaned off. In the meantime, she wanted to start the process of building a new brownstone on the land. She discussed it with her fiancé, who agreed to help her with the designs.

"We should grab a bite to eat while we're out," Jersey suggested while looking around the quiet neighborhood. She didn't like being there because it brought a lot of memories that she didn't want to remember.

"Alright. What do you want to eat?"

"I want a juicy steak with a baked potato." She voiced as a smirk etched across her face. She placed her attention him, checking out his calm facial expression.

"You love steakhouses."

Jersey nodded and said, "I do."

"Big baller!" Someone called out.

Malcolm was about to reply, but he was rudely interrupted by a gruff voice. Immediately, he went into defense mode. There was still a lot of strange shit going on, and he didn't want his fiancée getting harmed.

Jersey looked over and realized it was Lisa, her aunt. She narrowed her eyes in realization.

Lisa stepped forward, and the guards, who worked for Malcolm and Jersey, pushed her back.

"It's okay." Jersey voiced while glancing at Malcolm. "It's just my aunt."

Malcolm furrowed his eyebrows. This was his first-time witnessing Lisa in the flesh. He already knew how she looked-because of his research. However, he didn't like how Jersey canceled the protection. She didn't know if Lisa was going to attack her. He glanced at Nick and realized his hand was settled against the holster on his side. He would be ready to take Lisa down if necessary.

Jersey checked her out carefully before asking, "What do you want?"

"Oh, nothing," Lisa answered. Her eyes eased around the lot. "I got a call from...Helen. She told me you were out here...talking with some contractors."

As expected, Jersey glanced at the older lady across the street. Kelli's grandmother was being nosy and messy-as usual.

"She said it looked like you bought the property. I've been wondering who purchased the brownstone, and it was you all this time."

Jersey folded her arms and rasped, "I did."

"Hm..." Lisa trailed off. "So, you're the one who tore down mama's house?"

"I can do whatever I want to do with my property."

"That house has been in this family for generations." Lisa voiced with a hint of hurt. It bothered her that Jersey purchased the place and tore it down. When she first heard the news, she cried about it.

"Yeah...well..." Jersey trailed off with a shrug. "The house had a lot of evil spirits in it. There was no way I was letting it stay up."

Malcolm stood back and watched. He didn't like getting into women and family disputes. However, if his woman needed him, he would help. Arguing was not something he liked doing.