21.

Enjoooy🩷!

▲▲▲

Jersey spent the day accomplishing the activities on Bernie's schedule. She had a lovely breakfast-coffee, fresh orange juice, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage. There were vegan options to choose from. Jersey piled her plate and ate breakfast with her man on the patio. They enjoyed the view of the greenery grassland while holding a conversation.

"I'm going back to school," Jersey announced after sipping her orange juice. "I was supposed to tell you earlier, but...things got in the way."

"Alright." Malcolm nodded while glancing her way. He smeared grape jam on his pancakes before cutting into them. "Are you still majoring in law?"

"I am, but I'm thinking about changing it."

"To what?"

Jersey shrugged and said, "I'm not sure yet."

"You have to make a decision." He pushed out.

She watched as he chewed on his pancakes. It didn't take him long to swallow the food.

"I know, but...I'm a little lost. I don't know what I want to do with my career." She pushed out while leaning against the chair. "Being a stay-at-home mom is cool, but I need more."

"The decision is yours to make." Malcolm replied. "Do what you feel is best. Being a stay-at-home mom isn't your goal-cool. I can respect that. You have to find your purpose."

Jersey nodded without saying anything. She ran her fingers against the arm of the chair.

"Givin' Back needs a permanent employee to take over the executive associate position," Malcolm stated abruptly. "Since you're focusing on your education, maybe the role should go to someone else."

Jersey placed her eyes on Malcolm. She stayed that way for a moment until she could finally process what he had said.

"You're giving my position away?"

"I'm giving it to someone who has the time to work." Malcolm tried explaining. "Jersey, you don't have time to see to Givin' Back when you're always busy with Harlem, the house, and everything else you have going on."

His announcement did hurt her feelings. It felt like a loss, and Jersey hated losing. She wanted to keep her position at Givin' Back because it made her feel good. It made her feel relevant in the corporate world. She didn't want to be just known as a mom.

"Look...Jerse..." Malcolm grabbed her left hand and rubbed it softly. "I'm not trying to hurt you. I need you to understand that we've allowed multiple contractors to fill your position. It's costing me, and I have to hire a permanent employee to take the role. I hope you understand what I'm trying to do."

Jersey shrugged and pushed out, "I understand."

"Now, if you want to return and work the position, you can. But I can't keep allowing contractors to come in and do the job. It's expensive trying to keep up with everything."