25.

[This book is almost over! 🥺]

Harlem seemed content with the tortilla in his hand. Slowly, he put the chip in his mouth and tasted the saltiness from the tortilla and the queso cheese. The tot held a focused expression as he made a noise with his tongue, trying to figure out whether he liked it.

"Is it good, baby?" Jersey questioned her son. She dipped her tortilla chip in the queso and chomped on it before glancing at her son for the second time.

Harlem looked up at his mom and reached his chubby hand out, trying to give her the chip back. Jersey examined the chip and realized it was slightly soggy, and her son had eaten the cheese from it.

She smirked and shook her head, saying, "No, thank you. I don't want it." Jersey wiped his face and added, "You eat it."

The sound of walking caught Jersey's attention. She looked up and realized Frida had made her way inside the kitchen. She looked concerned as she went toward the fridge for a water bottle.

"Hey." Jersey started while eyeing the woman. "Everything okay?"

Frida closed her stainless-steel fridge door and shook her head.

"Not really."

"Not really?" Jersey reiterated with her brows furrowed. "What's wrong?"

Frida neared the kitchen's island, where Jersey was located with Harlem. She put her water on the counter and said, "Call Max and let him know that he needs to get over here. Right now." Frida pushed out sternly.

"What happened?" Jersey pushed out in confusion. She didn't understand why Frida's mood changed so suddenly. Before she answered her door, she was in a jolly mood. Now, she was stern and very irritable-similar to Malcolm's typical attitude.

"A police detective stopped by...they were looking for you and Malcolm."

"Me?" Jersey blurted out. She was flabbergasted by the news. She didn't understand why the cops were looking for her. Jersey wasn't involved in any illegal activities. On the other hand, Malcolm used to distribute drugs, but Jersey knew that wouldn't be a reason for the cops to come sniffing around them. He'd left the business last year and had no involvement since then.

So, what could it be?

"Why are they looking for us?"

"I don't know. She wouldn't tell me anything." Frida muttered. "I told her that you two weren't here. Malcolm better find out what's going on because...it sounds like something bad is about to go down."

"Oh, no," Jersey interjected while closing her eyes briefly.

This was something she feared. She didn't want to get in trouble with the law. Not only did she love her freedom, but she had a son to take care of. Harlem needed both of his parents around to raise him.

"Don't get yourself upset. Just call him and tell him to come over here."

"I'll do that now," Jersey responded. "He went to get his suit tailored with Ryder." She continued while tapping away on her iPhone.

"I know." Frida quipped. "He needs to put a pause on that because this is important."

Jersey called Malcolm, and he answered on the third ring. She spoke to him gently and told him to get to the house for an important meeting. Malcolm didn't ask too many questions. Instead, he told her that he would be there in fifteen minutes.

"Do you need anything before I get there?" Malcolm questioned Jersey.

Jersey nodded her head as if he could see her. She wanted pain medication because her cramps were trying to creep on her.