23.

Jake and Norm returned to the strange woman a few more times that week. She didn't speak, only eyed them and listened intently. Jake questioned her about her intentions, why she was here, what she had been doing, etc.

"You're obviously not from here. Where do you live?" Jake squatted down and studied her.

She only looked at him and kept strong eye contact, staying silent.

Jake scoffed and stood up, putting his hands on his hips. He looked down at the woman and sighed. "What do you want? At least tell us your name."

The woman rolled her eyes and shook her head. She crossed her arms and leaned back, as if she was challenging him.

Jake looked to Norm and huffed. "Let's go-" He looked back at the stranger. "This is useless."

Norm looked down at the clipboard he was holding and shrugged. "Alright- let's go." Norm walked out the door first, but then Jake gave one last look to the woman laying on the floor.

"Wait-" She squeaked.

He turned to her and raised an eyebrow. He walked back to the front of her and squatted down. He didn't speak as he waited for her to go on.

She looked around the room, avoiding his eyes. "I'll talk." She finally made eye contact with Jake.

He raised both in eyebrows in surprise. He cocked his head at her and waited for her to speak.

She huffed. "But only if I can speak with Rolayea."

Jake looked at her, shock displayed clearly across his face. "Rolayea?"

She nodded. "Alone." She looked up to the camera in the corner. "And no cameras."

Jake shook his head and crossed his arms. "No."

She furrowed her eyebrows and scowled at him. "Why not?"

He shrugged. "You don't get to make the rules here. You're our prisoner, we're not yours."

She rolled her eyes. "You're clearly not getting anywhere with me. Either take my deal or not."

Jake thought for a second but looked back to her. "We could just torture the answers out of you." He said simply.

She scoffed. "I'd never break. This is the only way you can get me to speak."

He stroked his chin as he thought. Coming to a conclusion, he spoke up. "I'll talk to her about it. If she says yes, then okay. But if not-" He clenched his jaw. "Then absolutely not."

The woman bit the inside of her cheek, then nodded. He nodded too and left the room.

The woman tilted her head against the wall and let out a sigh.

Jake walked out to the hallway and saw Norm reading a piece of paper. He walked to Norm and explained the situation.

"She wants to see Rolayea. She says after that, she'll talk."

Norm raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Do you believe her?"

Jake sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I don't know but what I do know is that what we're doing isn't working."

Norm raised his hand to his chin and thought. "Yeah- it's not working." He looked at Jake. "It's your choice- she might not take it so well."

Jake raised an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"

Norm sighed. "Some random stranger wanting something from her? That's weird. She's just getting the hang of things- now some abrupt change? I know if I were in that situation I would be weirded out."