28.

AUTHORS NOTE: In case you didn't know, I released the first chapter of my Fred Weasley book called "Obsessed with you'! It's on my profile and I will try to be posting regularly if you guys want to check it out! I would greatly appreciate it :) It's a slowburn (my personal favorite) so I hope you guys can show it as much as love as you showed this story <3

It was midday, and Laya was training again. This time with Neytiri, the bow expert herself. Laya was having a hard time aiming at specific things, so Neytiri took it upon herself to correct this. She helped Laya focus on a single object, both moving and not. By the end of the long day Laya could shoot something directly pretty well.

She was getting better each day, and she could sense that her rite for getting the ikran was also fast approaching. There wasn't a certain date but they wanted to do it a few weeks before the ceremony, which was also steadily approaching.

Neteyam's days were filled with tracking, hunting, and training for the future Olo'eyktan job. He always came home exhausted, his muscles sore and tired from his busy day. This was the same for Laya, who had been practically running the whole day.

After cleaning themselves off they would always collapse into their bed, not saying a word to each other and simply holding onto each other as they fell asleep. Words didn't need to be said when they were together like this, they knew what the other was feeling.

Another factor of Laya's life was her ever imposing mother. Ever since her arrival, she constantly demanded and asked for Laya. Laya got out of it each time, being busy with either training or planning for the ceremony. This angered her more though, making claims that she was "selfish to not see her mother". Laya didn't care at the insults she threw at her and kept ignoring her. She always focused on the task at hand, taking each day at a time.

It was only at night, when she was left with her thoughts, that she thought about her mother. She debated whether she should've been nicer, more forgiving, or perhaps meaner. She didn't enjoy making the people feel bad, but it was her mother who had left her when she was an infant, so she didn't feel much regret. All she knew was her own feelings, and Neteyam made sure to validate her.

"Just because you don't want to see her doesn't make you selfish." He told her, lacing their hands together as they laid in bed. "It makes you strong. I'm proud of you." He kissed her forehead.

Laya squeezed his hand, silently thanking him for his support. He pulled the blanket higher on her and kissed her forehead again, then promptly fell asleep.

As he was asleep, Laya stayed wide awake. She looked up at the ceiling, deep in thought. Her body was exhausted and yet she couldn't find it in herself to even attempt sleeping. She just thought. Thought about her and Neteyam's future, her mother, her future acceptance into The People, etc etc.. A few nights Neteyam woke up to find her still awake, and tried to comfort her. One particular night was hard, because she had visited her mother again.

Nothing notable happened, but she threw some pretty nasty insults at Laya. These included "traitor" and "tree-loving whore". She thought they were pretty extreme and random, because her mother had only called her petty insults before. She guessed that her mother was getting more and more tired of her ignoring her. Needless to say they affected her a lot that night.

"What are you doing awake baby? Fall asleep-" He murmured against her skin. She nodded in an attempt to get him back asleep, but her eyes stayed open. This didn't go unnoticed by him. He sat up and wrapped an arm around her.

"What's going on?" He absentmindedly kissed the top of her head, leaving his head resting against hers.

She shrugged. "I can't fall asleep. I just-" She paused. "My thoughts are too loud."