SINFUL - 29

Micah saw an innocence in her chestnut brown eyes and he got lost amidst them like he always did. He could never shake off the feelings that overtook him when Noelle was in his presence, there was just something about her virtuous disposition that piqued his interest. Micah's heart thumped in his chest, he grew more nervous as they hadn't been this close in proximity for some time. Micah could no longer ignore the emotions she, so effortlessly, evoked within him. He observed the slight frown on her lips and it pained him to know he was the reason for it. He hated that they had been like this and that he had harboured a persistent yearning for her for this long and had done nothing about it. Feelings that were so passionate it had been the very reason they had been unable to have a fully functioning platonic relationship. Plus, Micah's pride had gotten the better of him in the past. He had been banking on everything that Noelle felt the same way, but her reaction was not what he had expected. His last romantic gesture had totally blown up in his face.

But he was tired.

Tired of feeling foolish whenever he'd catch himself staring in her direction in their lessons, tired of watching her laugh with their friends and wishing he was the source of her joy. Wanting to be the one who caused her to shriek loudly in the corridor. Tired of admiring her from a distance, tired of constant battle between his heart and his boyish tendencies. Tired of passing the time with Amaka, when he was already aware of whom he truly longed for.

Micah was tired of finding himself trying to recall the light scent of her perfume whenever it entered his mind. He grew frustrated as he imagined himself standing behind her, with his arms resting around her waist tenderly, his face laying at the crook of her neck as she leaned back and nestled against him. Tired of thinking of what it would be like loving her...

"Micah, let go of my hand please." Noelle's tone seemed much calmer, he knew he could now release her from his desperate grip and she wouldn't storm out of Cynthia's house.

"Sorry." His eyes averted from her face to her arm. Micah let a sigh of relief when she didn't move. "I...erm...I broke up with her."

"What? Amaka?" Cynthia couldn't hold back her surprise at his announcement. Both of their heads snapped towards her as though they had suddenly remembered her presence. Noelle scoffed but said nothing, watching Micah with questioning eyes.

"Yeah...that's what I was trying to tell you earlier but you wanted to give me a heartfelt speech about me driving safely." Cynthia rolled her eyes at the tone Micah had taken with her.

"Well, well, well." She couldn't help but smirk as she watched Micah regard Noelle cautiously, anxiously awaiting her response to his news.

"Errrr C, do you think we could go up to your room for a minute?" Cynthia had to focus her attention on drying the plates as she was too amused by this new sincere role that Micah was currently playing.

"Yeah sure...I'm busy anyway, need to get this kitchen spotless, you know how my mum gets when it's dirty." She began rabbling on, causing Noelle to giggle.

"Noelle?" Micah indicated that they exit the kitchen and head up to Cynthia's room for some privacy. Noelle followed behind Micah obediently, and walked inside Cynthia's room when he held the door open for her.

In her mind, she attempted to piece together what she would say to him. She knew she had to muster the courage to ignore his alluring scent, ruggedly handsome looks and how he effortlessly appeared attractive in whatever he wore. Even this rough, out of bed look suited him, but Noelle dismissed these thoughts and focused on the pattern of Cynthia's bed sheets as she sat down at Cynthia's desk.

She had already analysed the situation, in Micah's mind this scene would have a fairy-tale ending but she knew that that was furthest from the truth.