SINFUL - 75

"Is there anything you wanna get off chest?" Cynthia asked as they pulled apart. Kobe looked from her to the illuminated screen of his phone, saying nothing. He then peered at her again, his shoulders slouching slightly however he was still holding back from saying a word. All that Kobe offered Cynthia was this hopeless expression etched onto his face, his guilt continuing to bound him to silence. When she held his gaze once again, despair was vivid in his large almond eyes. Cynthia's patience was wearing thin, it was painfully obvious that there was a lot he could get off his chest, he could have had a good rant about everything he was keeping to himself but he was choosing not to. Cynthia couldn't even bear being upset with him, Kobe needed her and all she could do was support him. At this point, he seemed so weary. Kobe cupped his face in his hands, Cynthia froze as her eyes latched onto his every move, she was scared that he was actually breaking down. Eventually, he exhaled heavily, dragged his palms down his face and attempted to pull himself together.

Kobe was ashamed of the depressed state that he was in because he knew he was stronger than this, and he hated those that were closest to him seeing him this way. He had been trying his best to keep composed around Cynthia and had been failing woefully. He wanted to apologise for the person he had been these last few weeks, he had not been himself. He'd had a miserable attitude, he had been short tempered and sex-hungry. Kobe was barely coping. He was sorry that Cynthia had to put up with him this way, it must have been tiring for her. Especially because he was not letting her in. His head throbbed, he was too exhausted to speak it was just easier to say nothing so he didn't bother.

"Well if you need me..." Cynthia took the initiative to say something because Kobe didn't look like he was ready to open to her. "you know I'm here Kobe." 

How was he going to explain to her that he saw this coming but there was nothing he could to convince his brother to do otherwise, there was nothing he could do to stop it? How would he explain to Cynthia that he had helped his brother cover his tracks? Would Cynthia even believe him if he confessed how much he hated Prince for this? Why would she? Why would she believe that when he had still protected his brother? Despite everything Prince had done. Kobe was now complicit in a crime he wanted nothing to do with. He had done nothing to Raheem but he had still managed to betray him and it was slowly killing Kobe. 

All the lies, deception and secrets, they made Kobe sick to his stomach because this was not who he was.

If Raheem died, Kobe didn't know what he would do. But if he lived? If Raheem lived, Kobe was in utter dismay at the thought of what would happen. He knew Raheem too well, he would be determined to get to the bottom of what had happened. Deep down inside, Raheem had a good heart, but that same heart was vengeful. Raheem would never ever let a violation slide, he had way too much pride. That had always been his weakness, that, as well as his inability to control his furious temper. As much as Kobe wished him a full and healthy recovery, he also wished for peace for Raheem. If he lived, Kobe could not predict what Raheem could do and that seriously worried him. Would their relationship remain untainted after this?  Or would it be broken for good? Would Raheem ever forgive Kobe for the parts he had played?

Either way, the outcome would be tragic. 

And there was absolutely nothing he could do about it. 

What was to come genuinely terrified Kobe.

"Bro didn't deserve any of this man." He mumbled more to himself than to Cynthia as he took his final puffs and discarded the remnants of his spliff onto the concrete. 

Just as Cynthia was about comment, both her and Kobe's attention turned to the voice that had called out their names. "Hey guys." Lola's sister, Tayo swivelled back to lock her car door as she got closer to them.