SINFUL - 51

The whole time at work, Cynthia was in a foul mood and her day was about to get worst. She was on her way home after her six hour shift when she felt her phone ringing, it was the same unknown number that had previously called. She rolled her eyes, watching her phone vibrate and without thinking, Cynthia answered the call.

"Hello, who is this?"

"..." Layla recoiled slightly when she heard the blunt tone on the other end, reeking with attitude.

"Hello?! Are you going to talk or?"

"Is...this Cynthia?"

"Why are you calling my phone and asking if it's Cynthia?" She kissed her teeth and squinted her eyes as though the female on the other end could see her. "Who are you?"

"Cut out the attitude, you're doing way too much."

"Tell me who you are or I'm really gonna lock off on you." Cynthia snapped.

"Alright well calm down! My name's Layla and we need to talk." The gravity of this current scenario was causing her blood to boil.

"Who?" Although Cynthia had successfully feigned confusion, she was panicking on the inside and buying herself some more time.

"Layla." She repeatedly in a curt, agitated tone. "Temi's girlfr-"

"Wait! How the f*ck did you get my number?!" As soon as the thought occurred to her, Cynthia became furious.

"Where I got your number from is the last thing you should be worried about." When Cynthia heard those words, her expression changed to one of sheer bewilderment. Without any hesitation, she hung up the phone on Layla. However, Cynthia got an very unsettling feeling as soon as she had ended the call. She had been thrown off the call itself but there was something else. To her dismay, Layla's voice had lacked the venom Cynthia had been anticipating. Instead, Layla's tone was filled with a concerned urgency. And it bothered her. Upon reflection, she felt like calling her back but she knew she didn't have the nerve to. Cynthia felt her heart race with trepidation as she tried to figure out how Layla had actually acquired her number. It could have been Temi but she barely knew him, it had to be someone she was close to. But who? Or perhaps, someone she was close to had unknowingly passed it on to another person who then gave it to Layla? The whole thing was giving Cynthia a headache, she was fuming as well as exhausted from it all. The vibration of her phone dragged her out of her thoughts, she glanced down and read the message Lola had sent her.

You better be on the way to the tailors, see you there

Cynthia shook her head and replied that she would get her fitting done another day. Knowing Lola and her trifling ways, Cynthia knew if she asked Lola whether Kobe would be coming too she would lie and say no. She wanted to avoid him at all costs and she was sure Lola would try at every opportunity to get them in the same place so they could talk. But Cynthia wasn't ready, it was way too soon.

As soon as Lola read Cynthia's reply, she called her.

"Hey Cynthia."

"Hey..."

"Why aren't you coming? I thought you were free this evening."

"Lola, you know why." Instead of responding to what she had said, Lola began cackling down the phone. "Stupid girl." Cynthia added playfully.

"You know me too well! I wasn't even trying to be messy, I just want you guys to talk, that's all." Lola knew Kobe would be disappointed to not see Cynthia.

"Hmm ok, whatever."

"Just come girl!"

"No, I'm going home to sleep."