SINFUL - 9

I was sitting on the toilet seat contemplating murder, as the weeks had gone by Andrea had enraged me further and further. I was growing to despise my sister, and hate was beginning to fester in my heart. I felt like I was going to have a breakdown, because after the laughter subsided, I felt so low. It was finally sinking in that I didn’t know Andrea, this person who was my blood and was supposed to be my best friend. My head bent and slid into my open palms and before I could halt myself my eyes swelled with tears. I just kept thinking about how even more lonely I would feel now. Andrea wasn’t the person I thought she was, she wasn’t genuine. I couldn’t even regard her as my friend anymore; her betrayal had literally broken my heart. She always got what she wanted; she had a boyfriend who adored her who she was cheating and her minions who idolised her.

What about me?

Why couldn’t I have the same kind of love? It wasn’t fair…

I had always believed if I didn’t have anyone I would have her. And even though I was mad at Andrea, I was also so very angry at myself for putting so much trust into one person. How would I know this is how things would play out? This was a lesson learnt. I wiped my stray tears and tried to gather my thoughts together.

Where are you?

I ignored the snake’s text message. She immediately rang my phone which I also ignored. I heard someone walked into the bathroom and so I flushed the toilet as though I had used the toilet.

“Cynthia?” I froze when I heard Andrea’s voice, knowing that my phone was ringing so she knew I was in here.

I opened the door and Andrea herself looked like she’d been crying. She wrapped her chocolate brown fluffy jacket around herself and clutched her oversized handbag. I held her in my arms and rolled my eyes behind her back. We pulled apart and looked as though she was going to say something.

“Andrea, let’s go!” Amaka poked her head round the door of the toilets. Andrea immediately pulled my hand and dragged me with her. She hurried to catch up with Amaka, and the rest of her friends who were further down closer to the college’s exit. I nearly buckled trying to keep up with Andrea. Once we were all outside, they commence in their group chatting, I fell behind and put in my earphones. Even though I had separated myself from them, I noticed that Andrea wasn’t talking that much and wasn’t really involving herself in the conversation.

By the time we got back to our house, Amaka and Marlene were still at her side like leeches. Bucket pusst had the nerve to step into my home, I felt insulted.

“Andrea, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” She averted her gaze to the rug on the carpet of our front room.

“You’ve been quite ever since you left the library…” Amaka regarded her with some concern in her expression.

“Its…it’s Raheem.”

Marlene’s attention was now fully focused on Andrea. I retorted to myself throwing them all dirty looks. I would have left but I wanted to hear what she had to say, I was surprised that Amaka wasn’t glaring at me as if to say why I was still in the room.

“There are so many things he’s done that I’ve just ignored or brushed aside but I can’t do it anymore.” She sounded so sad, I was almost sympathetic.

“Like what?” Amaka’s eyebrows furrowed as she listened intently.

“How can my boyfriend have a car but he barely ever offers to drive me to college…”

I had to roll my eyes, was this why she was crying? Although I knew that he was always at the library early in the morning, at the times when Andrea was just getting into the shower; but I said nothing as it really wasn’t my place.