SINFUL - 5

Micah was always so quiet in English Literature that sometimes I’d forget he was there. That was until I would feel his beady eyes peering over at Noelle. I turned to him slowly and glared and watched as he quickly turned away, I stifled my laughter and got on with my work. What I didn’t understand was how after English, both Micah and I had Psychology, and I would always manage to make it there on time but Micah was always late. I was convinced he did it on purpose especially today as he’d finally sorted himself out and gotten a haircut. He waltzed into the classroom as though he was a Greek god and almost every female in the room was giving him their full attention yet they were trying to behave as though they were listening to what Miss Webber was saying. Hands down, Micah had the most groupies in this lesson as opposed to his other subjects. He tried to behave as though he was humble but he loved the attention.

“Hey beautiful ladies.” He sat down beside me but had all of his attention focused on the girls sitting in front of us. They both giggled, he made eye contact with one of them and it was as though they were undressing each other with their eyes. When the lesson had progressed somewhat, the same girl turned around and asked Micah for his exercise book. Assuming she wanted to see his work, he complied. When she returned his book to him, he had this stupid grin on his face as his eyes grew bigger. The same type of happiness of a toddler in a candy shop was what I saw on Micah’s face. I peered across at his open book and saw a mobile number written in a large size across the page followed by Myla x. I was laughing in my head; Amaka would not find any of this amusing. And knowing how this college was, before it was even break time she would have heard about this, but it wouldn’t have been from my mouth.

It amused me the way girls were enticed by Micah.                                                                               

The same boy who’s nose bled when he grew overwhelmingly anxious, the same boy who’s four wings would spill on the floor and he’d pick them up in public with no hesitation and devour them; the same boy who acted ever so homosexual behind closed doors. This boy’s farts could send someone to an early grave, when he let one rip in our house; Andrea and I were forced to evacuate the building. Yes, Micah was a good looking boy but it was funny how I saw him in one light and other girls saw him in another. I was always grateful that we had grown to know each other so well, he was always there for me and we could trust each other. Plus, being with him in Psychology while he debated as to whether he should pursue this Myla girl made me forget about Andrea’s peculiar behaviour. It was as though I was beginning to see her in a different light. I had noticed that we spent less and less time together at college but I didn’t mind because I knew she had her crowd and to be honest I didn’t really fit in with them. And anyway, we always spent time together at home. We were best friends and nothing would change that, nobody could ever come between us.

“So what’s this I’m hearing about you and Timmy?” Micah moved his stool extremely close to me; I knew he was attempting to intimidate me with his presence by getting into my personal space. I screwed up my face like I’d smelt an unpleasant odour.

“What are you talking about Micah?” I spoke in an uninterested tone.

“Since when did you keep things from me? People are saying you’re doing a ting.”

I laughed dryly. “For f*ck sake.”

“I take it that’s not true then.” He chuckled.

“Mikes, I met this guy the other day and suddenly we’re dealing, right? I’m sick of this place nobody can mind their own damn business.” I hissed when I saw Miss Webber look in our direction with her eyes narrowed.

“Why do people think that though? I’m pretty sure they didn’t just pluck this rumour from nowhere.” I proceeded to explain how I left my mobile at the library and Timmy was at the bus stop with Noelle and I and we rode on the bus together and how I’d seen him this morning. Micah started laughing.