Chapter 23: Camping Gone Wrong Pt 3. A Dark Past

Warning: Mentions of abuse and bullying. If this is a topic you wish not to see, then I suggest skipping the flashbacks.

I'm giving you all a two-chapter treat. Enjoy.

------------------------------

Flashback

Screaming. That's all they ever did.

An eight-year-old child sat in her room, hugging one of her many plushies with her back against the door.

A young child hid in her room as her parents screamed and threw things at each other. They were upset, and she was the topic of choice.

"You can't just hit Hailey when she accidentally does something wrong. That's not punishing a child! That's abuse!" Her Father yelled.

"It's a punishment well deserved. I didn't want her away. Better to teach her now how the real world works!" Her 'mother' yelled back.

"But still!" Her Father said, "That is no way to treat a child! OUR child!" He exclaimed.

"And?!" Her 'mother' exclaimed, "She's a mistake!"

"She is our daughter!" Her Father exclaimed, "You constantly hitting her because she made a mistake doesn't prove anything! It's abuse, and you know it!"

"So?!" Her 'mother' yelled, "She's a mistake! She shouldn't have even been born!"

"How could you say that about our child?!" Her Father exclaimed.

"You know what!" Her 'mother' exclaimed. "I'm not going to deal with this any longer. I'm leaving. If you want to keep that brat, then by all means: do" She heard her 'mother' come upstairs, and the girl left her room.

"Mommy, please don't go!" The child ran to her but was smacked across the face, landing on the ground. The girl held her cheek.

"Don't touch me, you useless little shit!" Her 'mother' said, and then her Father came up, getting in front of the girl.

"When you leave this house..." He started, "Never return If I find that you decide to come anywhere near my kid. I will be calling the authorities." Then it happened so quickly. Her 'mother' grabbed a suitcase and left. The girl heard the front down slam.

Tears welled up in the girl's eyes. Her Father leaned down to her.

"It's okay, Hailey. Everything is going to be alright."

------------------------------

Hailey woke up, tears streaking down her face.

She tried to grab something: anything, but before she could, many large booming sounds came. Hailey instinctively brought her knees to her chest and hid her face. Despite being hurt, she hated having nightmares about her childhood and thunderstorms. Thunderstorms always reminded her of her dark past.

Hailey started to shake. It reminded her all too much. Breathing became hard, and tears streamed down.

She felt someone holding her, ushering sweet words to her.

------------------------------

Jake woke up when large booming noises came, "Thunder."  Jake thought, "Why did it have to be a thunderstorm?"  Jake asked himself, but he then saw Hailey shivering.

"Hailey," He said, but she didn't respond. She looked so frightened. He concluded Hailey was having a panic attack.

Jake sat up and took Hailey gently into his lap, leaning her head on his shoulder.