Chapter 32: Infinity

"Oh, darling, my soulYou know it aches for yoursAnd you've been filling this holeSince you were born, oh'Cause you're the reason I believe in fate, you're my paradiseAnd I'll do anything to be your love or be your sacrifice"

You know it aches for yours
And you've been filling this hole
Since you were born, oh
'Cause you're the reason I believe in fate, you're my paradise
And I'll do anything to be your love or
be your sacrifice"

Infinity-James Young

💫

We didn't even share a last kiss.

Leila basked in her viscous desolation, staring at the dewy mist that clung to the jagged mountains. That was a violet blanket over the now calmer waves.

Spring was less than a week away now. As Winter scorched the earth, the much less brisk air that magicked through her window threatened to thaw it away. The moon glowed more golden, the flowers waking up, posturing themselves closer to the only light they had. And that scent, of earth and soul and something warm tickled at her nose. Nothing like her hotter place of origin, but something sweeter than the frozen tundra that made her fingers ache. The change was proof that this icy, barren castle she had arrived to could soften with the change of season.

And still, she was a cavern of ice.

The night before she had turned her pillow into the ocean outside her window. Full of salt and feelings she couldn't put into words. That's the scary thing about emotions, you can know that someone is lying to you or trying to push you away, and your body doesn't listen. And this time, it didn't matter. She needed him to choose her. To choose her over the fear, over the unknown.

And he hadn't. Even after everything.

Leila still didn't regret telling him. If it hadn't been that story, it could've been another that sent him back to the rigid prince he tried to be. Any sign of any danger for her, and he was gone.

The princess understood. To have been twenty only two years ago, a man and yet still so young. To have three of the people you knew all your life slaughtered. He hadn't been able to save them. And Leila doubted he didn't try.

You aren't worth it.

You aren't worth it.

You haven't been loved.

But Leila didn't need saving. She needed someone who she wanted to save herself for.

And she'd never forget it. Maybe, maybe she could've forgiven him for the first transgression. But to tell her that she'd never been loved, to confess he didn't feel any love for her—

The numb didn't exist anymore. It was a scaly, crawling thing that ripped through her heart and sprouted wings. Ripped away from her forever, because she could no longer feel nothing. Love felt like burning, and she was glad she never admitted such feelings to him. For he would have carelessly, arrogantly let them wither with his 'protection'. He only thought of her physical well-being. And not of the heart that lay drenched and sore underneath a cracked rib cage. That was a hurt she never experienced and never understood and maybe now, now she could rationalize why her parents never gave her time or their affection.