Chapter 41: We're All Sinners

"Why does it feel like both our souls are intertwined?When you meet my eyes, We both know that you're mine"

When you meet my eyes,
We both know that you're mine"

Sinners - Ari Abdul&Thomas LaRosa

🤞🏻

It has been two weeks since Jeongguk was placed into the dungeon, awaiting his 'trial'.

The revelations that they had rejoiced in, slowly becoming a mockery of their present state of unknowing.

The only positive being that no one had attempted her life in those long weeks.

For days they scoured around the library. This time, bringing Setareh in through a secret passage way. It would be contrary to their little display at the council meeting if they were seen working together. Hours upon hours they would search, with no new leads. No mention of the curse, or the four phases. No mention of how the Immortui came to be. No more family trees or records of affiliation.

Leila had the gnawing feeling all they needed was within Lily's capable mind.Leila wasn't sure what Lily had uncovered since Leila had given up and just offered Lily the book in her own chambers. To watch her translate, Leila would've needed a time where she wasn't in the prince's room. And he wasn't in hers.

Which was turning from a rarity into an impossibility.

And, it would've needed an explanation that Leila could not offer.

The princess, turned Queen, new that she should've told Taehyung. But every time she attempted to utter the words, the died a quick death.

Even as her suspicions grew. Even as the bellowed with their paranoia.

Even now, as she sat beside Taehyung and her sister, her own thoughts imprisoned her.

During the meeting she accounted for every movement made. Aera's stiffness, as if she already knew was about to be said. Jimin's apparent indifference. Lily's haunted expression. No other noble seemed as strange as those three.

The three people Taehyung either loved or hated. Two who were wrought by envy. One that was related by blood to the other.

Setareh slammed a book down next to them, making Leila jolt. Taehyung just lifted his head slowly, unabashed.

"Can't we just let him go." Setareh bit out. Her soft voice as grating as it could muster. She was born demure, so watching her attempt harshness was endearing. And a bit intimidating.