The New Recruit

As I awoke the next morning my brain was still foggy so I didn't exactly remember what had happened last night, but after I had gotten dressed and stepped outside into the sunlight it hit me like a ton of bricks. Holy shit! I had sex with Arthur! I instantly went bright red at the thought and quickly walked over to Miss Grimshaw to stop myself from thinking about it. "Miss Cheban! Where have you been?" She asked as I approached. "Sorry! I slept in." I replied as I was snapped away from my thoughts. "I guess you're just gonna have to work twice as hard now." "Alright, fine. What?" "Well you can start with cleaning the tables. Come back to me when you're done and I'll give you your next task." She moaned. Whenever one of the girls woke up late she would 'punish' the laziness by making us do extra chores. It was a drag.
When I had finished cleaning the tables, I made my way back over to Miss Grimshaw. "Good. Now you can help Mister Pearson chop the vegetables."
I ran around all afternoon, doing all of the tasks that Miss Grimshaw had assigned me. As I was moving a hay bale over to the horses, I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't realise that someone was in front of me before it was too late. "Hey!" I exclaimed as I hit the floor. "You ran into me." Arthur replied as he held out his hand to help me up. "Sorry, I woke up late so Miss Grimshaw is making me run round the camp like a headless chicken." I said, causing Arthur to chuckle. "Why'd you sleep in?" "I was tired." "And why was that?" He asked with a smirk which caused me to blush. "Fuck you." I replied with a smile. "Yeah, that's why you're tired." He smugly responded. "I swear to god Morgan!" I exclaimed as I tried not to laugh.
"Miss Cheban! Less talking, more cleaning!" Miss Grimshaw called over my shoulder. "Ugh." I groaned as I rolled my eyes in exhaustion and walked back over to her. "Yes, Miss Grimshaw?" I said in the kindest voice I could muster. "Laundry." Was her only response as she gestured towards the wash bin on the ground. I sighed before sitting down and beginning to scrub the camp's dirty clothes. Note to self: do not wake up late again.
As I made my way through the laundry pile, I began to get lost in my thoughts again. You can probably guess what I was thinking about. I jumped slightly as someone dropped another item of clothing in my lap, a bandanna. I looked up to see Arthur smirking down at me and I suddenly realised why it needed washing, which made me blush again. I chuckled, shook my head and began scrubbing it in the wash bin as Arthur proudly trotted off.
After I had washed all of the clothes, I rang them out and began to hang them up to dry on the washing line. "You are relieved of your duties. Mister Van Der Linde wishes to speak with you." Miss Grimshaw said as she made her way over to me and took the shirt from my hands. Thank god. A break.
As I was walking towards Dutch's tent, I heard Arthur talking to Kieran. "I just heard that Adler woman wants to cut your dick off and feed it to her horse. I told her it wouldn't make much of a meal." He antagonised. "Morgan, play nice." I called out before continuing towards Dutch.
"You wanted to talk to me?" I said to Dutch as I approached his tent. "Ah, yes, we need you to go hunting for the stew tonight." Nevermind. Not a break. More chores.
***

I walked back into camp with Wish at my side after a successful hunt. 2 rabbits and a deer. Pretty impressive if I did say so myself. I placed the rabbits on Pearson's table and began to untie the deer off of the back of Wish. "No horses in camp, Miss Cheban!" Miss Grimshaw nagged, as I removed the deer and dragged it to the side of a table. "Okay, okay!" I yelled back, quickly leading Wish over to the hitching posts. "Thank you, Liz!" Pearson called out when he noticed the animals. I smiled in response as I walked back over to him. "You manage to hit them dead in the eye, every single time. It's impressive, if not unnerving..." he chuckled as I picked up an apple and took a bite. I laughed in response as I leant against the table, chewing.
"Dutch was looking for you." He said after a moment as he began to skin one of the rabbits. "Ugh." I groaned as I rolled my eyes. "Don't get a chance to breathe around here." I added. Pearson laughed before replying, "I believe it has something to do with Robin." I gave him a confused look, "Robin?" "Did you not know? There's a new girl in the camp. Apparently Javier saved her from a bear." He replied. "Really...?" I asked as I turned to look at Dutch's tent but the flaps were closed. He nodded as he ripped the skin off of the other rabbit. "Okay, well, thanks." I replied as I walked towards Dutch's tent.
I could hear voices coming from inside but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. "Dutch?" I asked from outside the tent. "Come in." He called out from inside. I pulled back the flap and peaked in. "Ah, Elizabeth." Dutch said as he made eye contact with me. "I'd like you to meet Robin. She's going to be staying with us for a while." There was a girl sitting on his bed with bright red hair, almost as bright as Molly's. "Did you give her the same welcome I was given?" I asked as I saw her nervous expression. "No, not quite." Dutch replied as he stood up. "I was wondering if you could help her? Show her the ropes?" "Me?" I asked, slightly confused as to why he didn't ask one of the other girls. "Yes you, Miss Cheban." He finished as we walked out of his tent. "Okay, sure." I replied, complying. "Thank you." He said before wandering off towards the others.

"Okay, well..." I began once Dutch had left. "Have you met everyone?" She shook her head before nervously replying, "Just you, Javier and Dutch..." "Don't sound so worried. They're alright once you get past the rough outer layers." I said as I led her around the camp. "The girls over there are Karen, Mary-Beth and Tilly," I began. "The lovely lady yelling at them is Miss Grimshaw. The other girls are Sadie, Molly and Abigail." I continued as I pointed towards each of them. "Abigail is John's wife and Jack's mother and Molly is Dutch's... well I'm not quite sure what they are. Pearson's the camp cook, stew gets put out once a day so make sure you eat. That's Charles, Bill and Micah. Charles is lovely but stay clear of Micah, he's unstable. That lazy oaf sleeping is Uncle. Sean, Lenny and Hosea are sitting over there, they're good people. That's Kieran, over by the horses and Strauss is over there on that log." I finished. "Miss Elizabeth...!" Swanson drunkenly walked over to us. "Did you know *hic* that... oh, I forgot what I was going to say..." "Reverend, go back to bed and sleep it off." I said as I rolled my eyes. "Yes! Bed!" He replied before stumbling off.
"That's Swanson, he has a few things to work through..." I added. "It's okay, you'll get the hang of it." I quickly said as I noticed her overwhelmed expression. "There are daily chores that need doing, feeding the horses, laundry, cleaning, cooking, hunting—" I began before I was cut off. "Who's your friend?" Arthur asked as he walked over to us. "Arthur this is Robin, Robin, Arthur." I replied. "Dutch said we had a new arrival." He said with a smirk. "Is he one of the nice ones?" Robin whispered into my ear as she stared at him. I chuckled before responding, "Yes. Well some of the time." "Very funny. I need your help with something later." Arthur said as he looked back at me. "What with?" I asked as I picked up a hay bale and passed it to him before taking another and passing it to Robin. "The Braithwaites." "Sure." I replied as I picked up the last hay bale and began to walk towards the horses.
"Put it down there," I said to Robin when we had made it to the horses. "I'll come get you later." Arthur said after he placed the hay bail on the floor. I nodded at him before he turned and left. "Is he, um..." Robin began as I patted one of the horses. "Is he what?" I asked as I turned to face her. "Is he single?" She asked with a slight smile. Wow. She seems to have found her confidence. "Oh, I—I guess so...?" I replied, not really sure what to say or how to respond to that. "Hmm." She muttered as we walked back into the main camp. 'Hmm'? What did that mean?
"As I was saying, there are daily chores to be done so I'd talk to Miss Grimshaw about that but whatever you do, don't sleep in. You will seriously regret it." I said with a facepalm. "You hungry?" I asked as I noticed Pearson put out the stew. She nodded so I led her over to the pot before getting her a bowl and walking with her to the table. "Who's this?" John asked as he sat down next to us. "Robin, John." I introduced them as I began to eat. "Hi." Robin meekly said. "Uh, hey? Liz, can I speak to you for a minute?" "Sure." I replied to John before standing up and walking away with him towards his tent. "I'll be back in a sec!" I called out to Robin.
"So, what's up?" I asked as I sat down on John's bed. "Who's that?" He asked as he crossed his arms. "That's Robin, Javier saved her from a bear n' Dutch said she's stayin with us for a while. That's all I know." "Dutch knows about this?" "Yeah, if you've got a problem then I'd talk to him. Don't shoot the messenger, Marston." I replied as I stood up and walked back over to Robin.
"Sorry bout that." I said as I sat back down next to her. "It's okay..." she replied, sadly. "Are you okay?" I questioned. "Oh, I'm fine. It's nothing, really!" She dismissed as she held her arm in her hand. "Uhhh..." "It's nothing! I swear! I'm fine!" She repeated as she began to sob but no tears came out. "Um..." was the only thing I could say in response. I was never very good at comforting people. "Okay, fine! It's the bear! It scratched me really badly!" She answered even though I didn't remember asking. "Do you want me to take a look at it?" "Liz, what did you say to the new girl?" Arthur suspiciously asked as he quickly walked over to us. "Nothing! Why do you automatically assume that I did something?" "Because you're you." He responded with one eyebrow raised but just as he did, Robin walked off dramatically. I gave him a look of confusion before quickly following her.
"What's up?" Arthur asked as we approached Robin sitting under a tree. "The bear! It scratched me and it's really bad!" She dramatically replied. "Oh, then you should let Liz take a look at it, she's the camp's medic." Arthur said, causing her to roll her eyes and I swear she gave me a funny look. "No." She quickly responded, causing Arthur to bend down next to her. "Can I have a look at it?" He asked as he held out his hand. She quickly nodded and held her arm out before Arthur began pulling up her sleeve. I watched as he did so and my face quickly went from confused to completely fed up as he revealed a tiny cut on her forearm that wasn't even deep enough to need a band aid. "I'm leaving." I said as I walked away and facepalmed at the ridiculousness of the situation.
I already knew this girl was going to be trouble and she'd only been here a few hours.

(Quick Author's note: In case you haven't already guessed, yes, Robin is a stereotypical 'pick me girl' of the Wild West Lol.)