Unprepared for Motherhood

I groaned as I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up before pulling back the flap of my tent. I moaned as the harsh sunlight hit my eyes and caused my head to throb. Most of what had happened last night was a blur, although I do remember the shootout. I stepped out of my tent and walked over to the river before splashing myself in the face with some water which seemed to wake me up.
"Good morning, princess." Arthur sarcastically said as I walked past him. "Ugh, I thought I told you never to let me drink again." I groaned as I sat down opposite him. "Yes but I made no such promise to 'Martha'." He chuckled as he took a drink from his coffee. "God, I hate you Morgan." I moaned as I placed my head on the table. "You do? Didn't seem to hate me last night." "Hmm?" I questioned as I looked up at him. "Or did you stick your tongue down my throat as a sign of your extreme loathing towards me?" "Ugh... don't..." I muttered as the memories came flooding back. "Shit." I exclaimed as I lifted my head up. "We didn't... did we?" "No, but it weren't for your lack of trying." "I'm sorry..." I muttered as I rubbed my eyes. "Never realised you could be so confident." "It's the alcohol, doesn't agree with me." "I don't know... I kind of enjoyed the more assertive Liz." He teased. "The more assertive Liz? You're always telling me that I'm too assertive." "I mean... sexu-" he began but was cut off my Jack running over to us. "Uncle Arthur! Will you play with me?" "Sorry bud, I've got work to do." "What work?" I asked. "Tip off about some horses or something." "Will you play with me Aunt Elizabeth?" Jack asked as he gave me the puppy dog eyes. "Of course I will sweetheart, just let me get dressed." I replied as I stood up. "Good luck with the horses!" I called over my shoulder as I wondered back to my tent.
As I began to get dressed my thoughts went back to me and Arthur's conversation. 'I mean sexu-' was he going to say sexually...?
"Come on Liz!" Jack called from outside my tent. "One second!" I called back as I quickly pulled on my boots before stepping out to greet him. "What do you want to do?" I questioned as we walked. "Can we go out in the boat?" He asked as he pointed to the camps canoe. "I don't know Jack... do you know how to swim?" "No, but I won't fall in!" "I..." I began, not sure what to say. I didn't want to break his heart but I couldn't risk anything happening to him. "Ask your ma." "Okay!" He happily replied before skipping off to find Abigail.

"She said yes if you promise not to let me drown." Jack called out as he ran back towards me which caused me to laugh. "I won't let you drown, honey."

"Here." I said as I gently lifted him into the canoe before hopping in with him and beginning to row. "Are you and Uncle Arthur going to get married?" He questioned as we rowed out to the middle of the lake. "What? No! What would give you an idea like that?" I asked in shock. "You've been hanging out together a lot." "That doesn't mean we're getting married sweetheart! We're just friends." "Okay." He responded. "The waters cold." He added as he dipped his hand into the river. "Careful darling."

We chatted for a while about what he's been up to but, as it turns out, it's quite hard to have an interesting conversation with a five year old. "And- and then, a dog showed up and Uncle Dutch let me keep him! And then—" I cut him off. "Hang on... a dog?" "Yeah! We called him Cain!" "The camp... has a dog?" "Yeah! He's so cute!" "Right..." I answered, trying to figure out if we actually had adopted a dog or if that boy had one hell of an imagination.
"A fish!" He excitedly exclaimed as a small bluegill jumped out of the water. "That's a bluegill." "Because it's blue and has gills?" He asked in response. "Yeah, I suppose so." "That's not a very imaginative name." Jack replied as he watched the fish swim around the boat. "Well I didn't name him, Jack." I chuckled as he leant forwards, trying to pet the fish. "Be careful sweetheart— JACK!" I exclaimed as he lost his balance and toppled head first into the water. "Shit!" I yelled before quickly standing up and driving in after him. I quickly lifted him into my arms before swimming back over to the boat. "Are you okay?!" I asked in a panic as I lifted him into the boat before pulling myself in next to him. "Jack?" I asked as he sat there laughing. "That was fun!" He exclaimed with a big smile across his face. "Jesus Christ..." I muttered as I fell back into my seat. "Your mother isn't gonna be happy with me." "She said not to let me drown and I didn't! And I enjoyed it!" He replied with a beaming smile. "That took at least ten years off my life." I jokingly sighed. "Can I swim again?" "No! Ten years is enough thanks. We should be getting back." I replied as I picked up the ores and began to row us back to camp.

"What happened?!" Abigail asked in a panic as we both stepped out of the boat, soaked. "He wanted to pet a fish..." I muttered as I rung the water out of my hair. "It was amazing ma!" Jack called out, happily which caused Abigail to laugh. "It's not funny! It's cold!" I chuckled as she led Jack over to the tent to get changed. "Thank you Auntie Elizabeth!" He called over his shoulder as he skipped away. That kid is gonna be the death of me.
"What the hell happened to you?" Arthur chuckled as I walked back to my tent. "Jack wanted to pet a fish..." I mumbled, causing him to laugh more. "Hilarious..." I added before leaving to change my clothes.