Marriage and Other Mysteries of Life

"Good morning." I greeted Abigail with a smile as I walked out of my room before sitting myself down on the couch. "Good morning, you." She replied with a smile, clearly surprised to see me up and moving before midday. "Do you... uh... need help with anything?" I asked awkwardly. I hadn't been particularly useful over the past month and now that I was sober enough to think about it, I began to feel slightly guilty. She thought for a second before replying, "Oh, yeah, you're good with numbers, mind sorting out the financial statements and documents from the bank?" "You still not done that yet?" I questioned as I followed her into her and John's bedroom. "You know how useless me and John are when it comes to this stuff. Charles said he would have a look but he never did." She explained as she passed me a book and some papers. "Fair enough." I replied as I walked back through to the main living area before sitting down at the dining table and beginning to look through the paperwork. It wasn't anything all that interesting, just adding up expenses and income.

Half an hour later, as I was tallying up the final sum for this month, Sadie and Arthur walked through the door. "Liz, you're awake?" Sadie questioned, clearly shocked to see me being productive. "Yes." I replied, getting slightly annoyed at the continued surprise of me actually doing something with my life.
"You... you gonna eat something?" Abigail asked hesitantly as she sat opposite me. "Yeah, sure, in a bit." I replied bluntly, I hated being treated like a toddler. "And when we say eat, we mean solids. Hard liquor don't count." Sadie joked as she plopped herself down on the couch. "I get it, thanks." I continued to become more and more annoyed at their little comments and more and more embarrassed about who I had become.
I could feel the tension in the air that I had created and very quickly started to hate myself.
"Well, look who's awake!" Uncle joked as he walked into the room. I took a deep breath and ignored him as I continued trying to work on the papers in front of me. "And she's being productive? Who are you and what have you done with Elizabeth?" He continued to tease as I felt anger rising through my body. "Alright, cut it out, old man." Sadie stuck up for me as she realised the comments were starting to get to me. "You alright?" Arthur asked as he must have noticed my clear annoyance. "Fine." I snapped back in reply which I instantly felt guilty about. "You sure?" He continued to press. "I'm fine." I quickly replied, this time trying to sound like less of a bitch.
"You actually gonna eat something today?" Uncle interjected which was my last straw. I snapped.
"For fucks sake." I grunted as I quickly stood up and began walking out of the house. "The hell is her problem?" I heard Uncle complain which really pushed me over the edge. I was trying so hard to stay calm but I couldn't cope with the passive aggressive comments anymore. "What's my problem?!" I raised my voice as I turned to face them. "My problem is that you're all treating me like I'm 12! I get it! I'm a fucking mess! I don't need the constant reminders!" I finished before turning and walking away.

Arthur POV:
"Liz?" I called out after her but she just kept walking. "I told you to cut it out!" Sadie yelled at Uncle once Liz had left the room. "I didn't say anything!" Uncle argued back. "She's embarrassed, you moron! Plus, she's been spending the entirety of last month trying to be as emotionless as physical possible and now she's feeling them all at once, cut the girl a bit of slack!" Sadie continued to fight. "Alright! Alright! You want me to go after her?" Uncle questioned as he stood up. "That is quite possibly the worst idea you've ever had." I spoke up as I gave him an unimpressed look before walking out of the door and heading off to find Liz.
"Morgan." Someone called out from behind me as I made my way across the front path. "Yeah?" I questioned as I turned to face Sadie who had followed on after me. "Let me go." She replied which surprised me. "No offence, Sadie, but you weren't exactly innocent in all that." "I know, I'm a moron too but if you go after her, it'll probably just freak her out more." "What? Why?" I asked. "Because she's embarrassed and, I don't mean nothing by it but, you're the reason why."
I furrowed my brow in confusion causing her to quickly explain, "She ain't seen you in a month, Arthur. She probably doesn't want your first impression of her to be that she's... well..." "Weak?" I finished her sentence for her as I know what was coming next. "Exactly." Sadie replied with a nod. "I know she's your girlfriend but, trust me, I've been taking care of that girl since you left, I know what I'm talking about."
"I... alright."