𝟎𝟐𝟑: 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫 𝐈𝐭 𝐈𝐬.

Saylor and Carlton stayed behind at the professors house so that they could give him a humane burial

Saylor and Carlton stayed behind at the professors house so that they could give him a humane burial. They had carried his body into the woods behind his house, they couldn't exactly dig a grave by his door without it raising questions.

The Routledge girl made sure to bury him with his research papers knowing that he had spent his entire life dedicated to unravelling the mystery of El Dorado and the thought of someone else claiming it as their own made her angry.

After they had finished burying Mr Sowell they returned back to his house and washed the dirt from their hands. Carlton was using the dark green towel to dry his hands whilst Saylor scrubbed between her fingers. "We should stay here tonight." He broke their silence.

"What makes you say that?" Saylor raised an eyebrow at him as she reached out her hand so he could pass her the towel.

"A lot happened today, we should lay low and rest. If we go back we will be thrown back into the chaos." Carlton gave her the towel leaning back against the bathroom wall.

Saylor thought over her options for a second, she could stay in a dead man's house and have a short break or she could dive straight back into the eventful hunt for El Dorado. She decided against the latter option, peace was the reason she had intended to leave the island in the first place. Although she hadn't completely escaped the grasp of the hunt she had the opportunity to enjoy one night of freedom.

"Yeah, you're right." She nodded placing the towel back on its hook beside the sink. "I'm not sleeping in a dead man's bed though."

Carlton let out a chuckle as he walked past her leaving the bathroom and entering the living area. "Me neither, we can take the couch."

"Dead men's couches... my favourite." Saylor joked sarcastically rubbing her hands together in an excited manner with a fake grin on her face.

The Anderson boy playfully rolled his eyes as she watched her, he glad she was returning to her usual bubbly self. "You hungry?" He pointed towards the kitchen.

"Are you kidding me?" She let out a light hearted scoff. "I went from living of coconut shavings to having 3 meals a day, my stomach physically can't fit anymore food." It was true, she wasn't used to eating so much and despite finally feeling full she also felt a little nauseous at the thought of food.

"Suit yourself." Carlton shrugged pulling open the fridge door. "Jackpot!" He cheered licking his lips as he pulled out an entire cooked chicken.

Saylor was in a world of her own as she searched the house for blankets which she finally found in the man's wardrobe. She brought them back into the living room and dumped them on the couches they would be sleeping on. When she looked back up from was met with the sight of Carlton tucking into the chicken breast. "Not a wing kinda guy?" He simply shook his head his mouth to full of food to respond making Saylor laugh.

☘︎︎

It wasn't long until the sun had set and the two were beginning to tire. Carlton was laid across the slightly longer sofa as he was the taller of the two whilst Saylor took the smaller seat with a purple blanket tucked under chin.

The Anderson boy turned on his side only to let out a yelp of pain as a spring burst through the thin layer of fabric and stabbed him in the waist. "Well that's not good." He sighed rubbing his hands over his face sitting up. "Floor it is."

Saylor watched as he grabbed a few pillows and plopped them on the floor before laying down on them and pulling his matching purple blanket over his chest. It was silent for a short moment until Saylor dropped her own pillows onto the floor beside him. "What are you doing?"

"Sleeping on the floor." Saylor replied in a tone which told him she thought he had asked a stupid question.

"I see that." He told her as she rested her head on the pillow beside his. "But why?" Carlton turned on his side so that he was facing her.

"I can't let you sleep on the floor alone, that's like, against the friendship law or something." Saylor lightly shrugged her shoulders shuffling slightly to get more comfortable which surprisingly wasn't difficult despite her being laid on the hard floor.

"You're ridiculous." Carlton shook his head at her with a small smile of his face.

"Oh, shove off!" She pushed his face away with her hand both of them laughing as she did. They quickly fell back into a comfortable silence both of them staring at the ceiling above them. "Good Night Anderson." Saylor yawned pulling the blanket closer to her face.

"Good Night Routledge." Carlton's voice was gentle as he watched her eyes flutter shut. Within minutes he had fallen asleep beside her.

☘︎︎

Saylor and Carlton were still asleep in the late hours of the next morning, that was until they were rudely awoken by voices outside.

Carlton was the first to wake up from the noise coming from outside the house. He went to spring up but was stopped by a weight on his shoulder. At some point in the night Saylor had shuffled closer to him and her head had fallen onto his shoulder, he hadn't even registered it until just now.

She looked so peaceful and he didn't want to wake her but he had no choice as the voices got louder, one of them he immediately recognised as her twin. "Hey, get up." He shook her shoulders which caused her to wake up with a gasp. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." Carlton apologised as he watched her calm down after realising it was only him. "We gotta hide, someone's here."

Saylor immediately stood to her feet making sure she took her blanket with her and dragged him into a small storage space between the kitchen and living room. They heard the door open and they shared a look, both of them acknowledging the fact they needed to stay silent.

Through the small gap inbetween the door she could see her brother enter the house, she felt conflicted. At first all she felt was an overwhelming sense of relief, he was alive and he was safe but then soon came the dread and the fear of being caught.

But the second she saw the flicker of blonde hair pass the door everything went silent, her head became completely empty.

JJ...

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁: 𝟏𝟏𝟏𝟐

𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗱 𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁: 𝟏𝟏𝟏𝟐