Eight: moidah

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

I have never been closer to shitting my fucking pants.

I journeyed over to some random tree in the lake-area of the mangrove, and slept right under it. I made sure to pin myself up against the roots, even using my dead snakes to tie myself in place so that nobody could see me. Then again, I doubt very many would stumble in here on purpose. They'd see the radioactive world and run off screaming.

My sleep is light, and downright useless. I wake up several times to keep an eye out for that creature. I don't know what it was. Some sort of snake, but nothing like a snake as well. It emanated an aura of pure death, pure evil, pure hatred.

I woke up. I'm not sure what time it was. I felt a pang in my heart as I realize I could not see the birth of Sun at all. I want to get out of here- really, I do- but while this biome may be the most deadly, it is simultaneously the safest. There are creatures, but no tributes. And in most ways, I think these wild things will be better than the tributes.

I decide to hold off on leaving. I remind myself that each of the tributes has a strong suit, and they are likely hiding out where that suit is the strongest, but that each biome likely has vast dangers. I heard the droning of the birds that killed some girl yesterday, though I don't know which girl it was. All I know is that it was towards the piney woods, which I don't plan to visit. I'm not good with woodlands that are native to somewhere up north.

I stare at my snakes. They're very thin, and not very strong, but they span at least fifteen feet each, so if I eat one for breakfast today, I should be fine for a while. I think about making a fire, but the wood here is always so damp, it'll be like trying to burn the actual water.

I dunk my stick in the water to clean it a bit. It'll likely leave splinters in the meat, but if I'm careful, and watch what i eat, I can probably remove the splinters before I swallow them and inevitably screw up my digestive track.

As I start peeling back the snakeskin, I hear some sort of beeping. I frown, my reflexes suddenly spiked. I hop into a crouch and hold my stick before me as I carefully peek out of my little camp.

A basket is floating by. It's small, maybe four inches in diameter, but something is in it. It floats through the calm water and I'm barely able to reach it before it passes me.

I understand what that means instantly. I know how expensive it must be, which means people are sponsoring me, which means they realize who I am. They realize I am strong. I smile dances across my lips and my cheeks redden as I look inside. It's small, but it must've cost a lot.

I pick up the knife. It's a switchblade, very shiny, and very sharp. The lights of the jungle reflect on its blade, and I peer over to the snake I've begun peeling with a stick. I hop over to it, gleefully completing my job. I may not have a fire, I may not have matches, but as I inspect the snakeskin, I realize it's safe to eat. It never glowed, and the snakes weren't venomous. It feels like they were mostly thrown in the lot to scare off people, but they're pretty stupid and pretty weak.

Free food!

Upon eating my snake, I am left with one more, soggy boots, nasty hair, and a knife. I figure I'm doing a decent job, as I am not dead yet, and I start returning to plans.