Forty-Seven: why does nobody love me :(

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

Daphne and I enter the training center. We've put in a formal request to be allies with Katniss and Peeta. Only problem?

KATNISS AND PEETA WILL ALLY WITH DAPHNE, BUT NOT WITH ME.

This is absolutely ridiculous! It's not like I'm gonna turn around and kill them. I'm now under obligation to keep them alive at the cost of my own life, in fact. But, I guess Haymitch won't tell them because it'll thwart the plan. Katniss isn't known to follow orders very well.

But, Daphne told me I can't be mad. Katniss is a hard person to read, but Daphne is trying, and she's getting the idea that Katniss thinks she won't be able to beat me if I turn on her.

"That's ridiculous. She can't beat you if you turn on her." I whisper to her as we make a large net together.

Daphne shrugs. She still doesn't feel very confident in her own abilities. I think about how we trained our asses off for months in case we got drawn. She still doesn't believe in her physicality, though. "Well, Peeta and I also have a much deeper connection. He's not just my ally- he's my friend."

I think she sees him more as a brother than a friend, but I don't tell her that. She has a tendency to latch onto people. Especially when they're young, blonde, and sweet. "Whatever."

"I already told them that I won't be on their side without you, though." She shrugs as she ties another knot. Her side is becoming much longer than mine. We're having a contest to see who can get 100 rows first, and I think she's going to beat me by a lot. She's not as strong as me, and not great with weapons other than tridents and spears, but she's better with her hands than anyone I've met. Except maybe Mags, who can make a fish hook out of almost anything

I smile. "You love me too much?"

She rolls her eyes. "Keep knotting, Finnick."

Peeta starts walking over. We greet him, and he sits right next to Daphne, watching her tie her knots rapidly. He looks at me, then at her. "Can you guys teach me how to do that?"

We agree. Daphne and I sit on either side of Peeta, teaching him various knots and different nets. We teach him the right distance and knot for a net designed for something large, such as a tribute or a pig or something, we teach him one for catching just a few fish, and Daphne teaches him her specialty- a discreet trip wire, and a net that ensnares opponents.

In return, though we didn't ask for it, Peeta teaches us some very basic camouflage techniques. The Morphlings walk over at one point, and start playing around with everything. Daphne and I leave, which is when Katniss joins Peeta and the Morphlings, who paint her into a field of flowers.

"We need to get Katniss on board with you." Daphne tells me. I glance at Katniss, who's actually smiling as two druggies and a lover boy paint her whole body.

"Maybe we can set up a deal." I say. "Like with Peeta. Tridents for archery or something."

Once Katniss is done being painted, I walk up to her alone, since Daphne thinks it's my impression that's made a problem. She wants me to try again, so I try to be as nice as I can.