Fourteen: send-off

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

Two kills in five minutes. Impressive traps. Impressive dancing, too. She moves her hips in a nice way, better than most of the other dancers.

Mags and I both gasp, but nobody seems to notice. The rest of the Capitol is gasping, too. Seven people are left, and three of them are right one the edge of the ruined city.

Champagne has his thick arm around Kore's throat, his black, steel knife pressing right below her ribcage. It will kill her, and it'll kill her slowly. Daphne is holding her spear out, her eyes wide and shaking, but she still seems strong. Kore's knife has been tossed to the side.

Champagne smiles. "You're not so strong now, are you? I've got your kid!"

Daphne says nothing. Kore's face is red, and she isn't saying anything. The sun is beginning to set now, illuminating Champagne's face in a horrifying manner. The entire Capitol is quiet.

Champagne points his knife at Daphne. His sandy blonde hair is caked with blood. His blue eyes are wild and manic. Rose said he was wounded, but I think that's a lie. It doesn't look like his is the one whose blood mats his hair. "Y-you kill Rose?"

Daphne nods. "Yes. I did."

"Was it quick?" Champagne says, his arm shaking.

"Quick enough." Daphne says.

Champagne groans and thrashes Kore, but she isn't free. Her eyes are on Daphne, and she even manages a smile. "You won't win this, y'know. Daphne is better than your entire Career pack!"

I hear a cannon. The camera pans to a boy with a massive gash in his thigh. Riley, who must've been killed by Champagne. A crane lifts his body out of the arena, and the angle switches back to Daphne, Kore, and Champagne.

"Is she?" Champagne smiles in a taunting manner. "Then, why do I have you?"

"I never said I was better than you, jackass." Kore grits. Her face is matted in dust and sweat. Scrapes are on her cheek from her short, futile scuffle with Champagne. "But she is. You'll kill me, and just die anyways."

"Is that so?" Champagne whispers. Daphne's grip on her spear tightens, but Champagne sees it. "Drop it, now!"

Daphne's shaking. She stares at Kore, her throat bobbing. I shake my head, whispering no over and over again as Kore nods, and Daphne tosses the spear aside.

"Let her go." Daphne says calmly.

"Daph, what the hell are you doing?!" Kore hisses. She thrashes a bit, but Champagne is stronger and much bigger than her. She gives up after a few seconds, her breathing heavy. She's not moving now. Her breathing has gone still.

Champagne allows a tear to slip down his cheek. Daphne stands rigidly, her feet pressing together now. She's balling and unballing her hands.

"She's right." Champagne whimpers. "I-I don't want to win. I don't! This isn't worth it! This isn't..."

A woman in the audience screams as the knife plants itself into Kore's stomach. The girl chokes a bit, and Champagne lets her roll to the ground. Daphne shudders at the sight, her cheeks turning bright red. Her hands are awkwardly kept at her hips as her whole body trembles, hot tears falling down her cheeks. She's shaking her head, whispering no over and over again. She's locked into place as Kore clamps a hand over her wound, and her blue eyes are filled with rage as she looks up at her only ally.