Thirty-Eight: troublemaking cunts wehehehe

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

When Cato falls, I finally look away. His body armor will protect everything but his face and his hands, which means the mutts will get their way of torture now. I can hear the shower running, and Daphne sobbing incessantly.

Of course she is. Two Victors can't be crowned. I know how badly she wanted Peeta to win, but the odds don't seem to be in his favor at the moment. His leg is gushing blood. It's also infected, and I doubt there's much the Capitol can do against a blood infection that serious at the moment. Katniss is weakened and has only one arrow, and she's using the very last of what meager supplies they have to keep Peeta alive. I leave the room, instead traveling to Daphne's.

"Daphne?" I knock on her bathroom door. "You need me to get you something?"

"A noose."

"Well, you're clearly doing well enough to make bad jokes." I sigh. Daphne manages a soft, broken laugh. A couple minutes later, she leaves the bathroom, dressed in a white skirt and a yellow blouse with long, flowing sleeves, reminding me of a daisy.

"You know it's almost nighttime, right?" I snort.

"Yes." Daphne answers honestly. "I was planning to take you out to dinner."

Ew! Stop blushing! You're twenty-three! "Okay, then. I guess you're taking me out to dinner. Where?"

"That sushi place we really like." Daphne answers as she starts putting on bright orange flats. "Are you gonna go get ready, or are you just gonna stand there like a fuckin' idiot?"

"Oh, you're such a loving date."

°•. ✿ .•°

"Do you think I gained weight?" Daphne questions. She's using the reflection in a glass window to check out her form, which is perfect as it always is. "My ass looks fat."

"I like fat asses. Can we go eat now?"

Daphne gasps. "You think I'm a fatass?"

My eyes widen. "Wha- no! I mean that you have a fat ass." I say slowly so I can get my point across. Daphne just snorts and buddy-punches my shoulder as she walks past me.

"I'm just busting your balls. C'mon, let's eat."

We walk into the restaurant. It's dark out, a rather nice summer night. My mind continues to cloud with fear as I think of what condition Peeta might be in. It doesn't help that several screens are showing the Games, and everybody in the Capitol is talking about the star-crossed lovers from District 12.

We sit at a high table for two. A couple of people try to talk to us, but we politely shoo them away. We sit, our eyes focused on the window. The streets are filled with people, busier than usual. It is, of course, because of how exciting the Games have been. We each order a water, our minds too busy to consider much else.

"I wish it had been Peeta." Daphne finally says. I nod, absently sipping my drink.

"I know you did." I say softly. I sit up a bit as our food comes; platters full of all sorts of sushi, likely made from the fish our people caught just yesterday or so. "Will you talk to Katniss on her tour?"