Thirty-One: i like it picasso

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

Ah, the Victory Tour. The worst part, in my opinion. In the arena, you're fighting for your life, stuck in a constant state of survival. On the Victory Tour, you're entirely safe, and it forces you to relive and completely feel everything that you saw, felt, or did in the arena.

Annie didn't kill anyone, but she didn't come out any better. Watching Louis get decapitated like that... it was absolutely vile. Not only was he my tribute and Annie's district partner, but all of us were friends. We all had personal connections with each other.

Nobody could really be entirely angry at Annie. They had enough reason to be mad at Daphne and I- both of us killed several people in the Games. Annie killed nobody. There's the usual bitterness that comes with seeing how well off a Victor is- in terms of money- but everyone seemed to catch on to Annie's mental disorientation fairly quickly, and they turned from bitter to sympathetic.

When we arrived in 12, I was hit with the familiar stench of poverty and coal dust. As Annie gave her robotic, entire-unmeaningful speech, people started to lighten up a little. Annie was not having a very good time up there and I think I saw her entire chest collapse once she was done.

"It's over, now." I tell her as we walk out of the dinner hall in the Justice Building. I like Mayor Undersee. He's quite a sad man, but I think he's pleasant enough if you look past that.

"How am I supposed to do this?" She asks softly, looking at Daphne as we walk into the town square. This time, they seem a lot more lively, and I can't help but think it's because of Daphne's presence.

"Follow my lead." Daphne smiles. "I like it here. The people are nice, and they're great dancers."

"But- but I can't dance!" says Annie.

Daphne looks down at her. Annie is an extremely small girl, and she somehow seems even smaller after getting enough money to feed herself for life. "Well, I won't force you, but it might be nice to-"

"Excuse me- Daphne?"

Daphne turns. I look over, suddenly hit with a friendly face. He's taller this time, and his hair is a bit darker. His eyes are shining with some sort of genial gleam, his smile brighter than the evening star. Daphne's face lights up when she sees him, and her eyes trail to the bread he holds.

"Peeta?" She asks. He nods excitedly, and his eyes go wide in shock when Daphne hugs him. He isn't very tall, unlike her, so it's like a mom holding her child. I laugh, and Annie even seems to find some joy as Daphne pulls away, her eyes aglow.

"Ho-how have you been?" Peeta asks. His voice is awkwardly nasally, giving him a sort of boyish charm. I nudge Daphne's arm and she rudely shoves me away, her eyes still on Peeta. He jolts a bit as he looks at me, even asking if I'm alright.

"Ignore him. He doesn't matter." Daphne brushes off as she takes the basket of bread. She hands it to Annie, her cheeks pink. "For you, Annie." She points to the little note on the top of the basket that says Annie's name, and I watch as Annie shakes whilst staring at the bread.

"He's a nice kid." I tell her. "And his bread is-" Daphne smacks my hand away before I can grab one. I glare at her, honestly tempted to shove her aside, but her eyes are already back on Peeta.