Twelve: my cute little hamster has some not-little brains

FINNICK

°•. ✿ .•°

Mags and I are in the Tribute Center, now. We were tired of being in the public face. And we've both done our fair share of talking. If I want to send Daphne some food or water, I just have to click a button!

I can even send some for her stupid ally.

I don't agree with this in the slightest. Originally, it seemed like her plan was to stay alone the entire time. Then, she was cornered by a literal child, and followed her into the city. Then, she shared her food. Okay, I understand. She was in a hostage situation!

And then she started sharing stories and whatever, and I knew Daphne was never going to kill this girl.

Mags looked upset, too, but for a different reason. This will make Daphne's chances of winning worse. Mags sees it from a motherly standpoint; she doesn't want Daphne to get hurt.

"It's obvious enough that she didn't enjoy killing them." Mags told me. "That's not in her code."

"I don't care. She needs to get it done." I blurted. Mags looked both offended and disappointed, and it brought out so much pent-up shame in me, I hung my head and apologized. After that, Mags tells me I need to have some compassion for Daphne.

As the numbers whittle down, I realize that the loved ones will be interviewed soon. I wonder what Neptune's parents think about the fact that he's barely done anything. I wonder what Daphne's family thinks at the sight of her killing three people, or at the sight of her covering their bodies, or at the sight of her allying with a little girl that obviously will not win.

I watch as Daphne carefully slides down the rocks. Man, that crocodile is big. As Daphne gets closer, I can see Kore shivering slightly, but whether from the rain, the cold, or the sight, I cannot tell. Still, she forges ahead, slowly splitting off from Daphne.

"They won't make it." I find myself whispering. I saw first-hand what the crocodile did to Kore's partner. It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't quick. He was eating little by little, with Kore paralyzed at the top of the hill, trembling and crying. What if that happens to Daphne?

I can't lose a tribute this early.

Mags, for once, does not disagree, which only incites some sort of weird panicky feeling within me. I watch as Daphne's steps are slow. Lightning flashes, illuminating her face in a ghastly way.

The crocodile pauses in the water. His skin switches from black to pale grey as he starts growling, his eyes trained on Daphne. Kore has stopped moving now, clearly terrified. I watch in confusion as it appears like her vine is both connected to her body and the top of the cliff. Maybe it cut away to some other tribute when she did that. Frankly, I'm tuning out all of the Games unless it's Daphne.

Oh, and Neptune.

Suddenly, Daphne stops. She opens her mouth a bit, takes a deep breath, and-

Is she clicking?

No. I watch as the crocodile stops growling and he swims forward. Daphne continues making the click sound, but her mouth and jaw barely move. I don't think it's coming from her tongue- it's coming from her throat. I realize she is imitating the birds she saw earlier in the day, and a wide mile dances across my lips. Even Mags claps and cheers as the crocodile walks onto the beach. Kore barely makes a sound, but the rain must be dulling the crocodile's sense, because he plops onto his stomach and opens his mouth. Daphne continues moving forward. She holds her fist in the air- some sort of signal- and Kore steps forward. She seems to have stopped shaking as she uses a stick to poke at the crocodile's mouth.