Eleven: Uh oh I think I'm attached

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

I'm delighted when the morning comes. Kore explained that there's a wide stream-mouth right at the edge of this biome, but that it's super freezing at night, so we should wait until morning. I laughed when I realized that my plan to leave at dawn worked out anyway. Kore didn't like that, and she especially didn't like when I suggest we sleep beside each other for warmth.

And yet, here she is, waking up from a deep sleep right beside me.

I taunt her a bit as we gather our things and go to the creek. I heard no cannons last night, and I didn't hear the snake or the other tributes. I try to push the thoughts away as Kore leads me to the stream.

Immediately, I start taking off my jacket, and try to remove my tank top, when she starts hissing at me and pulling my shirt back down.

I raise an eyebrow as I look down at her. "Kore, how am I supposed to get clean?"

"At least wait for me to leave!" She whisper-shouts.

I scoff. "What's so weird?" I question as she kneels down to fill the waterskin. "It's just a body. And we're both girls, anyway. There's nothing crazy or wild about it."

Kore flushes red. "It's just... weird. It's not normal. I-in my district, at least. Modesty is valued a lot in 5."

I wrinkle my nose. "Odd." I think of how, in 4, we typically wear either tight clothing or scarce clothing when we work, or even when we just walk around. It's hot there, and going in the water with a bunch of baggy clothes never works out well. We need to swim fast, so we'll typically strip down. We typically remain in nothing but our underwear. How else are we supposed to navigate the water so quickly?

"Is it not like that where you're from?" Kore asks as she stands up.

I shake my head. "No. Not really. Bodies are bodies."

Kore wrinkles her nose. "So... so you've seen boy's, too?"

"Of course." I shrug off. Kore walks a few feet away and gives me a thumbs up, and I remove my clothes. For her comfort, I leave on my bra and underwear as I scrub myself clean with some moss. "Why? What's so crazy about that?"

"We don't see boys naked until we get married." Kore explains. I feel extremely shocked about that, and I make it known. Kore turns around eventually, and still blushes wildly, but she seems to get used to it as she sits on a nearby rock to have a conversation with me. "It's considered wrong."

"People in 4 get weird looks when they don't take off their clothes for work." I snort. "I mean... imagine wearing all of that and swimming. For hours. Hunting food."

Kore considers it. "I see your point. 5 is also colder, and we work in power plants most of the time, so there's never really a need to strip down unless you're bathing. But, we have allotted times for that."

"Oh. We just kind of... all use soap together at the end of the day."

"Ew! You bathe with others?!"

"How is that ew? It's the very opposite of ew! We're getting clean!" I laugh as I toss the moss aside and grab a new one. I let my hair down, and lay flat in the shallow water, letting it soak. It's nice and cold, refreshing on my skin. Sun beams down at me, and I feel a comforted smile coming to my own face. "We also change in front of each other, since our houses are so small."