Twenty: borthday gorl

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

The past few months have been a bit of a blur.

My family and I have moved into our new house. We all have our own rooms now, which is more than we have ever dreamed of. About a day after we moved in, we bought some paint and painted Kym's room a really obnoxious shade of pink. Triton specifically told her how hideous it is ("It looks like that funny puke I had when I was six!") and she didn't like that ("You look like a funny puke!"), so there was a slight scuffle.

I gave my parents the master bedroom. I have no use for something so grand, only being one person, and finally got them to take it after a long argument. I took the only room downstairs. I don't want them to constantly wake up from my screaming, and the house has very good, thick walls, so they can't hear me very often. It's useful of course. I had terrors even before the Games. They got a thousand times worse after.

We also have a lot of free time. My mother still fishes a lot, mostly to buy her own time, and she sells for very low prices (the people insist she is paid) or donates to the homeless or children. My father cooks and cleans every single day, claiming it's more fun in a big house ("So much space for mopping and dusting!"). Kym and Triton go to school every day and are still apprentices, and they've started making some very lovely clothes. I spend my days out on my boat, rowing through the waves, trying to focus on the sea rather than my memories. I go fishing almost every day, too, able to soak in the beauty of the water.

Today, however, is different.

I just turned sixteen.

They woke me up early by leaning in my face and screaming surprise. I laughed and brushed it off, since I don't want to tell them just how much it terrified me. I want them to be able to have their fun with me the way we did before.

I'm told to dress comfortably, not formally. I choose a black skirt that stops above my knees, and a forest green shirt that cuts low and has long sleeves that drape very low. I opt to go free of jewelry aside from my necklace, still laced with four charms. I leave my hair down, though I use a light green bandana as a headband and leave my room with my sandals in hand rather than on my feet.

My family is waiting for me there. They all greet me as my father cooks up some food. I sit next to my mother at the circular table. She's next to Kym and Triton, who are having some sort of argument about pancakes. My father serves us our food and sits right across from my mother, and we all dig in.

It's a nice day, with mild temperatures and a sky dotted with white clouds. After we eat, they take me for a nice stroll throughout the town. My parents are in the middle, with Kym and Triton on the left, and me on the right. For once, I'm able to feel like it was before; my old birthdays, with a morning walk and a very calm day.

It's calm until he emerges.

Finnick's door swings open so wide, it smacks into the wall. He immediately stumbles out and throws up in some bushes right outside. The twins start cackling and pointing at him, while my parents groan in both disgust and horror. I'm the only one to break away and walk over to him, trying to ignore the fact that he's only wearing white boxers.

"Finnick, let's go inside." I mutter. He mumbles something to me as I put his arm over my shoulder and drag him in, praying he doesn't puke all over me.