Twenty-Nine: trauma is so cringe major L

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

"Annie Cresta!"

I hear the crowd gasp, murmuring lowly to themselves as they part for the girl. She's a short, slight thing, with bright red hair and sea green eyes. Her skin is pale, and her entire body is shaking as she walks onto the stage. I see a woman burying her head in her husband's chest somewhere far off, and she looks startling like this Annie girl.

I see a tear slip down Annie's cheek as she takes her place on the stage. Kiernan claps, and the district joins in a bit lowly. I turn to Finnick, whose eyes are already on me. I look back to Kiernan, who has already drawn the boy's name and is about to read it.

"Louis Teth!"

A boy walks forward. He has black hair that's shaved close to his head, though I can see how curly it is. He's got dark skin, and while he isn't very bulky, he's rather tall. He strides forward, his head forward, his lip bit almost in concentration. As he takes his place next to Annie, I see scars peeking out from his sleeves. He shakes hands with her, and together, they go inside the Justice Building.

Finnick and I wait on the train, which is right beside the Justice Building. We busy ourselves by practicing a waltz I'm attempting to teach him. Annie and Louis walk in about an hour later, both of their eyes full of tears.

I sit across from Annie, with Finnick by my side. She's staring at me like she might be scared, so I simply hold out my hand. "It's nice to meet you, Annie."

"Not a great circumstance." Finnick smiles as he shakes Louis's hand. Louis looks like he doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"But, don't worry." I say as I start reaching for some sushi. "We're here to help you in any way that we can." I extend a piece to Annie, but she politely shakes her head. She's a very lovely girl, with a hook-like nose and rosy pink lips.

"How old are you guys?" Finnick asks casually, his mouth stuffed with buttered up rolls.

"Eighteen." Annie answers quietly. She seems to be forcing herself to eat a little bit of pork.

"Fifteen." Louis says. His voice is more level, though I wouldn't say he's very confident. Finnick and I go through the whole spiel of their skills, what we can market, how to get sponsors. Annie seems extremely terrified about the whole thing, which has me significantly worried. Louis seems to be zoning out and biting his nails a lot, which is irritating Finnick. We finally decide to get back to it later- meaning, once we get to the Capitol- and everyone goes off on their own.

In the Capitol, people are mostly going crazy for Annie. She's very pretty, of course, and vulnerable. And I don't want what happened to me and Finnick to happen to her. I've already decided on it. I know that I'm not going to market Annie as a gem to be sought after. I can't possibly do that to another person.

I praise the stylists for not making Annie and Louis go naked for the parade. Annie stills seems really uncomfortable being dressed in some sort of metallic fabric that looks like water, but after several assurances that she looks great, she's able to get on the chariot and complete the race.

"So!" Finnick smiles as he finally joins us for dinner. He's been asleep all day, and it's the first time Louis and Annie have even seen him since yesterday. "How are we, folks?"