Thirty-Nine: kantmiss evershot, you fucked it all up

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

How could this happen? Two Victors? I thought no Victors would make a change, but this says even more. This is enough to show the people that change is possible. If sixteen-year-olds from District 12, of all places, can defy the Capitol with a couple of berries, why can't an entire nation of slaves?

It's been six months now, since the Games. Katniss and Peeta are to begin the Victory Tour soon. The pictures have already been released; they both wear white, and stand together, looking valiantly into the sunset while Katniss holds a bouquet. Star-crossed lovers. More like star-crossed lover. Either way, they're both mystically alive. Two Victors from a single Hunger Games.

Things haven't been right ever since. The people scurry around like rats, speaking in hushed whispers and suddenly falling silent when they see the Peacekeepers. Several of the same people congregate in random spots, whispering emphatically and moving their hands a lot. We'll randomly wake up to the news that a shop of some sort has been ransacked, or a massive fire happened, or Peacekeepers gunned down civilians. Rebels, a word used more than ever at the moment.

I wonder what's going on in the other districts. If they're seeing uprisings the same way we are. Almost everyone is trying to go on strike. Half as many seafood trucks are being sent to the Capitol. People watch Finnick, Mags, Annie, me, and every other Victor like hawks, almost as if trying to gauge our motives.

Uprisings. I remember everything I have ever been taught about the Dark Days. About the last time the districts tried to rebel against the Capitol. District Thirteen was destroyed, and the Hunger Games were created. What would happen if we went through that again? Would we start to do four from each district, or something worse?

As I walk alongside the beach with Finnick, I keep flashing back to Rue, her corpse wreathed in wildflowers from Katniss. Her image keeps conflating, and I keep seeing Kore wreathed in glowing plants, and her own corpse resting on a woven death bed. I keep mixing up the crane lifting Rue into the sky, and me pushing Kore so she could float along the current.

He taps my shoulder. I shudder, looking back at him. He's raising an eyebrow at me and popping a sugar cube in his mouth as we walk, the December air chilling us so our noses and cheeks turn red. "You okay?"

"No." I admit. The streets are uncomfortably bland. On a Saturday afternoon, the town should be bustling with people. Finnick surveys the sun-bleached, grey asphalt of the empty road, and nods, understanding what I mean. Peacekeepers are posted on nearly every corner, masked and armed. I can feel their eyes watching me under their masks as I walk past them. It's my right to be here, but why do I feel like I need to turn around and run home?

"Excited for the Victory Tour?" Finnick asks. I'm really not, but I have to make it seem like I'm not one of these rebels.

"Yeah!" I say enthusiastically. "I think it'll be pretty interesting. I mean- there's never been two Victors. How will they give the speech? Separately, or will they... like... trade off lines like some twins do?"

Finnick laughs and shrugs. "Eh, guess we'll have to see. I kind of wish the tour was in the summer, though. It's prettier that time of year."

We don't say much more. I can't help but be scared of these Peacekeepers. I don't ever remember there being so many, and the old ones especially didn't hang around like this all the time, right?