Forty-Three: babe listen

PEETA

°•. ✿ .•°

"Alright, we need to go over these tributes." Haymitch says. We haven't reached the Capitol yet, but we'll be there soon, and I want to know everything I possibly can about my competition. Katniss doesn't seem so eager. I know that she's forcing herself to do it, and it isn't a point of laziness. Some of the Victors are old, married, they have children. How can we possibly do this?

"Okay." She nods, crossing her legs. She's wearing the blue jumpsuit she wore at the reaping. I like how she's left her face bare of makeup. I've always disliked it when her stylist and prep team add gallons of the stuff. Of course, she's pretty with it. I think Katniss could be pretty wearing a paper bag. I've just always preferred the naturalness of her face. I like the way her nose is straight, the way it turns down just slightly at the end. I like the way her lips are very angular, her Cupid's bow is prominent, and how she always seems to be pouting a little.

And her eyes. They're grey, absolutely stunning in the light. It's impossible not to take notice of them. They stand out against her olive skin, her soft, dark hair. They always make her seem a little intimidating.

I finally look away, gesturing for Haymitch to go on.

He turns on the screen. We're supposed to watch the Reapings first, and then we'll study the tapes some more. Katniss and I have the notes we've been taking over the months.

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the Games." says Haymitch. "Last year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers."

I sigh. "Alright. What does that mean for us?" I look at Katniss. What does that mean for her?

"It means you're gonna need to have some allies."

Of course. We don't know these tributes as well as they know each other. "Okay. I think that-"

"Whoop!" Haymitch cuts me off. and shakes his hand. "You're not the problem." He points at Katniss, whose already shaking her head.

"No."

Haymitch sighs and sits next to her, a drink in his hands. "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." Katniss scoffs. Why is she so against this? Wouldn't it make sense for us to have allies? My mind is already flashing to one person in particular, but I keep quiet. I don't even know if she's in, and I'm praying that she isn't.

Haymitch grunts, "Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt- you- down!" He pauses. "Both of you."

"Katniss... c'mon." I say softly as I look at her. She stares at me, her grey eyes making my heart skip a beat. I know she doesn't want to do this, but if I have to make her... if it'll keep her alive and send her back home...

She sighs and turns back to Haymitch, softly shaking her head. "How could any of us even trust each other?"

"It's not about trust." Haymitch says. "It's about staying alive."