Forty-Six: are ya autistic?

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

"I mean, I just don't really understand the hype behind long nails!" I go on. Johanna is a few feet away, oiling up her breasts. I stick my tongue back in the container of pulp, hungrily licking the remnants.

"I don't either. Reminds me of woodpeckers." She shrugs. "Hey, can you come pull my hair up and get my back?"

"Yeah, sure." I toss my tin aside and grab a hair tie from my pocket. I walk behind her, carefully pulling her hair up. It's very soft, which surprises me for some reason. Once it's pulled up, I grab some of the oil and rub it on her back. I catch Katniss looking at us, almost disturbed. She really is just the cutest damn thing.

A half hour later, lunch is called. Johanna puts her clothes back on, still slicked up with oil so she's all shiny. Finnick links up with us, and we join Peeta and several others on the way to lunch, reminding me of my short-lived time in school. Except, in school, I was an outlier and just enviously watched groups of ten link up.

We've got 1, 2, 4, 7, Peeta, and Chaff. I clap my hand on Peeta's back and he turns to look at me with a gentle smile.

"Where's Katniss?" I ask genuinely. He looks for her, and points towards the left. I see her awkwardly sitting with Wiress and Beetee, which I expected. They're quiet and very nice. I definitely like them, and can see why she does.

Someone proposes the idea to link up all the small tables so it's just one massive table. I sit idly by, not bothering to help move all of it around.

Peeta looks at me as slides tables around like they're simply feathers. "Why aren't you helping?"

"I'm too pretty for this." I remark. Peeta laughs and shakes his head, and I choose to sit between him and Finnick for lunch.

We grab our trays, and Katniss begins talking in a hushed tone with Peeta. By the look on her face, she's very upset about something. I decide to busy myself with telling Finnick things like "That's enough potatoes, Finnick" and "Leave some greens for the rest of us, Finnick" and "No, you cannot eat me out for lunch, Finnick", which makes Johanna double over with laughter.

We all sit down. Katniss and Peeta have stopped talking, and Chaff has taken the spotlight. He's sober, which is a bad version of Chaff. He's loud and makes some really bad jokes.

Katniss makes an effort to be more sociable. I have a feeling it's not her forte, so I try to help her out a bit since I want her on my team.

"So, Katniss, have you ever had caviar?" I ask. She stares at me, maybe confused I'm actually trying to be nice.

"No, it's always seemed kind of weird to me." She shrugs.

"Fair enough. I've never really cared for it myself. I prefer the meat of a fish, not the eggs." I say.

"What kind of fish do you like?" She asks.

"Eh, I dunno. I prefer salmon to halibut, but cod and tuna are more familiar."

"Ugh, fucking hate fish." Johanna gags.

"Oh, right." Finnick smiles. "You're from 7, so you probably eat a lot of tree sap and twigs, don't you?"

Johanna rolls her eyes. "At least my breath doesn't constantly smell like a dirty pussy."