Sixteen: omg hey bestie!

DAPHNE

°•. ✿ .•°

I am not sure what happened after I killed Neptune. I remember a hovercraft retrieving me. I remember screaming and fighting as I was tied to a table. I remember begging to be let go, begging to be killed. I remember them putting a mask on me, and I inhaled a white gas before finally slipping under.

I spend a few days coming in and out. Mags is with me once. She was reading to me, though I'm not sure what it was. I could vaguely make out the pump of morphling into my veins before I blacked out again. Another time I hear some doctors talking. Another time, I believe Finnick left me something on the table.

When I'm finally awake for good, I feel better than I have in... okay. That's odd. How long as it been? I look around, my chestnut hair falling on my shoulder. It looks lush, healthy, and softer than it ever has before. As I raise my arm, I notice the complete lack of scars.

I look to the bedside table. There's a small basket with assorted flowers in it. There's a bright window, and I see how high I am in the air.

Not good. I don't like heights.

As I stand up, I notice as absence of pain in my side. The stinging wound in my hand is gone, no trace left. The place I cut myself has vanished. As I walk into an adjoining bathroom, I rip off my hospital gown entirely.

I'm horrified. My skin is entirely unblemished. I have no scars to show my losses, none to show the hard hours I've worked, none to show the enemies I've faced. I remember everything that's happened in the Games, and I have to look away. Next thing I know it, I'm naked, huddled on the floor, a pool of vomit in the toilet.

The door opens and I just close my eyes, shaking my head. I pull my knees to my chest, silent tears streaking my cheek.

"Oh, honey."

Mags doesn't say anything about my current condition as she manages to work the gown back on me. She helps me rinse my mouth out with some saltwater, but I feel numb. She begins to talk about unimportant things; a sea turtle she encountered once, how she saw some very pretty shoes in a shop that made her think of me. It's not much, but it makes me calm down. I feel good enough to brush my own teeth, though Mags stands by.

She's a very small woman; probably five feet even, no more than 75 pounds. I have to look down very far every time she stands right next to me. But, I suddenly feel like the small one as she tucks me into the bed. I don't go to sleep, but I curl on my side, facing Mags. My tears have stopped, and I'm starting to feel better, and I begin asking questions.

"You've only been out for about five days." Mags says. My hand reaches for the basket of flowers, and Mags smiles. She hands them to me, allowing me to sniff their fragrance. They're natural, not chemically altered like the ones that use to decorate our floor in the Tribute center. "Finnick brought those for you."

"Where is he?" I ask, suddenly snapping up to look at Mags.

"I'm not sure. He's probably napping." She smiles. "He does that a lot when he's bored."

I think about everything I received in the arena. The weapons, the food, the flashlight.

"Mags... thank you." I say. She takes my hand and nods with a smile. I try to ask if Neptune received similar treatment when the door opens.